Options

Passed Network+ yesterday

caiphncaiphn Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Passed the test yesterday with a 693 I believe, six ninety something. (I'm at work right now) Went through it pretty quickly, about fifteen minutes, studied for two weeks using tech notes here on Tech Exams, Nuggets and something called 'TestOut' I believe. So now I have my Network+ and my A+. Work is paying for my certs, so luckily I passed else I wouldn't get reimbursed! Right now I do help desk type stuff in the corp, I work in a data center and also have data center duties.

My question to all you smart people is this:

What should I pursue next? I really don't know what would be the next logical step. I just want to continue getting any sort of cert I can get my hands on, but thought perhaps I should steer away from the Comptia exams. Would MSCA/MSCE be the most logical path? I have the potential to move around in the corporation to other departments, but don't really have any extreme key interests other than being employed! Any input or insight would be appreciated! Thanks, and thanks TechExams.Net for having the great resources available.

Comments

• Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    I depends on what you really want to do studying for something that your not really interested in wont gain you much, would you prefer the networking side of things like with cisco (configuring routers, switches and much more), or would you prefer the systems admin/network admin side (using ms products/linux products, configuring servers, setting up domains and so on)

are you interested in specializing in anything i.e. security, or want a broad base of knowledge (MCSA/MCSE, CCNA/CCNP, Security+ etc).

if you still cant decide maybe it would be good if you tryed a few maybe one like an MCP cert and a cisco cert.

Also congrats on the pass :D
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    More the 'broad base of knowledge' I guess, I think I'd be better at the systems admin side of things, the products, server configuration, etc. That's more my speed. I'd actually like to get started on something new before the New Year and wanted to pick something up so I could start studying, and am just looking for some direction. Thanks on the congrats. What should I do? icon_eek.gif If I was to go towards MSCA/MCSE, what would you recommend as a starting book or material?
  • Options
    Going with the MCSA might be a good starting point for you then, start with the 70-270 windows xp exam which will give you MCP status then you can finish the last 3 to obtain your MCSA, i personally use the sybex books mostly for studying and the Microsoft study books, syngress books seem good too or it was for the security+ exam atleast :) also this sites technotes are great too . Any good book store or ebay should have these, also make sure to do lots of practice exams like the ones that come free with the study books it will get you used to the format of the questions especially with Microsoft exam's being very wordy compared to comptia ones.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    Ew, wordy, don't like that. I read somewhere that Network+ and A+ can go towards your MCSA/MCSE as an elective or something like that.. is that true? I'll grab a book for 70-270, I think there might even be one around the office. Thanks!
  • Options
    From what i remember you need network+ and A+ for one elective, also security+ counts as an elective.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    Great, well, I have one elective then. :) I should just go ahead and book my 70-270, seems to be the way I get things done.. kinda forces you into it. After doing a bit of reading, it seems like most people take about 6 weeks to study. I work 12 hour shifts so I get usually 3-4 days off a week, I should be able to study for it in about a month. I'll still a little burned out from Network+ though, so maybe I'll take a quick break. Thanks for your input, and that's what I'm going to do.
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Congrats!!
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the Network+ exam. I definitely believes it gives you a good foundation needed to venture into the Microsoft and Cisco world of certifications. I'll see you over in the Microsoft forum. Don't hesitate to ask any question you might have.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    cburnhamcburnham Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am on the same path. I've been working in I.T. for several years, and finally added it to my workplan this year to get some certifications. So far I have my A+ and am now studying for my Network+ which I hope to take by Jan 12th.

My next goal is the MCSA, and yes, my CompTIA certs above will count as my elective. I am going for the 2003/XP certification, even though I could probably already pass the W2K ones as I've been running 2K networks and desktops for years, but, as my grandmother used to say, "You have to keep up with the times."
  • Options
    Thanks! I've already picked up some stuff for pursuing my MCP. I'll dive into it tonight hopefully. icon_eek.gif