Options

Computer build question

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am just starting to build my first computer and was wondering what I should purchase first. It is going to take to me at least 3 to 4 months to afford everything so I don't want to buy some of the main things ( motherboard, cpu, video) and have them be outdated by the time I can put it all together. I was thinking power supply and accessories like fan controllers. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I kind of look at it this way - the minute you walk out the door whatever you got is now outdated icon_lol.gif

I always buy CPU and Motherboard together and go for the best I can afford at the time. I will usually look for the best bang for bucks when it comes to graphics cards and always try to pick a good all-around performer. RAM you can get any time. If I am buying piece at a time I always leave the case and PSU last to stop me trying to 'make it work' when I don't have all the bits icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you are not getting many of the parts for 3-4 months I'd save my money first then shop for parts.

Look around, you'll probably find Mobo's around $100-130ish. CPUs around $200. RAM varies on your budget. GC or on-board for you?? If you need a GC probably in the $200 or less. If you need sound, then add this in too. PS about $100. Chassis...$40-$200.

As you watch the prices the next month or two look at the spread between CPUs. You'll likely see 3 or 4 closely priced...then a huge jump in price where all the newest ones begin. See what it is you wish to afford, save the money then have fun!! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PhilippatosPhilippatos Inactive Imported Users Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Input and output devices: monitor, keyboard/mouse and printer. Those are the components I usually end up keeping when I build my next PC, so those are the ones I don't skimp on. For me that means NEC LCD screens (bought a 90GX2 today BTW), Logitech DiNovo keyboards and mice, and HP LaserJet printers.