Options

PC Diagnostic Software

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
Wanted to see if any of you could give your opinion on the PC Diagnostic Software kit that I am thinking about purchasing. I listed the link for you to check out the product. When I was studying for my A+ exam, half the book was on PC repair and it listed a number of PC diagnostic tools, and this seems to be the best one. I am going to start a partime time repair business and as we all know, time is money....Let me know what you think..

http://www.pc-diagnostics.com/pc_diagnostics_tools/pc_diagnostics_pro_kit.shtml
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Save your money. The best diagnostic tool is the tech. Electronic gadgets (except for maybe a multi-meter and on a rare occasion a POST card) don't make you a better tech. I've even watch an average tech get careless because all he relied on was his PHD PCI card.

If you want loopback plugs you can make these yourself. Most of your troubles are not with perphipals. Heat. PS. HDD. Fans. etc...
    Now if you are MFG your own boards, you may find it useful to have a diagnostic tool such as these, but I'd say you'll find more benefits from MemTest software/ SiSandra/ and software such as these before you spend a penny on gimmicks.

my 5 cents. icon_wink.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if its what your looking for... Belarc Advisor ? thats what I use, plus its free!!
    Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
    -J.R.Purser
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I have to agree with Plantwiz. These PC-Tech kits aren't used by any real good PC-Techs. Most of the stuff they sell, you can find a tool online that does the same thing, for free. If you have a couple bootdisks, a flashdrive, maybe a backpack cd-rom drive, and a couple homemade loopbacks, you'll be good to go. If you were replacing parts on a board, you might use these things more often, but usually, a bad mobo would replaced versus repaired. As for the Belarc Advisor, it's a great program, but it is not free to use in a commercial environment. It is a "Free for Home Use" pieceof software. It simply creates a webpage to view that lists every detail about the machine including hardware, software installed, and hotfixes applied. I use it as well occasionally to have a printable sheet of what I'm running, for when I do an upgrade, but it won't repair anything. Again, like Pwiz mentioned, the best tool, is the tech themselves.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A while back I posted a list of tools I use frequently, I'll see if I can bump the topic.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    physicskidphysicskid Member Posts: 35 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    A while back I posted a list of tools I use frequently, I'll see if I can bump the topic.

KG

I was just reading this article, KGhaleon :)

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15609
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1xPhillps Screwdriver
    1x Flathead
    1x Compaq type Screwdriver
    1x Cable Tester
    1x Crimper

1x Unbutu Live Cd
    1x Aida 32
    1x RockXP
    1x AVG
    1X Spybot
    1x DSL Linux
    1x Memtest
    1x DBAN

That's all I use oh and a sledge hammer when I encounter a annoying Case design
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oftentimes when a PC isn't booting up, I have to start looking at each device in the system in a logical order. Is there some automated software similar to that diagnostic utility Dell uses in their systems, that will work on other machines?

I'd just like something I can run quickly on a machine to help me figure out what to check first. That way I don't waste time, which I don't have much of to begin with. I'm using the UBCD right now, but that's still only for checking devices individually.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Just whip it out and see if you get any complaints..... icon_redface.gif

What i mean is take the system down to its barebones and build it back up rebooting as you go. Helps identify most parts.

Just plugged RAM in and now it wont boot? Guess what you should check first? :)
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools