Looking for personal experiences with Unitek IT Training

~Scott~~Scott~ Posts: 19Member ■□□□□□□□□□
I am scheduled for the CCNA + CCDA Bootcamp in Fremont, CA in January and I'm curious to know if others here have attended this class and what your experience might have been.

My background is in cable infrastructure design (BICSI RCDD) and the company I work for now has asked me to pursue the CCDA so that we can become a Cisco Premier Partner. Since I have no hands-on, I am a bit concerned. However, I have been provided sufficient tools and time to study on the company dime. This company will pay for ALL training for me to achieve the highest level of certification that I desire... at this point, I would think CCIE-Voice would be the best fit with the direction of the company as well as industry trends.

Any insights? Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks!
Scott

Comments

  • ~Scott~~Scott~ Posts: 19Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    No one? icon_eek.gif

    How about Bootcamps in general?

    I am concerned about my lack of field experience and want to take the most direct route to a solid understanding of the technology.
  • sthomassthomas Posts: 1,240Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have never been to big on bootcamps because they are usually very expensive. But since the company you work for is paying for the training then it may be worth it. If you want CCNA/CCNP you may want to check your local commmunity college and see if they offer the CCNA/CCNP classes there. They are usually fair cheaper than bootcamps but will probably take longer. Just my 2 cents.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • ~Scott~~Scott~ Posts: 19Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply... I don't have the time to take an extended class but I imagine it would be a better learning experience.

    I need to have the CCDA by the end of February and should have the IPTX by then as well. The company isn't requiring me to get the CCNA, but if I want to continue on (which I do) then the CCNA is the first step toward all of the professional certifications. I am considering the CCVP line-up and eventually the CCIE Voice.
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    ~Scott~ wrote:
    I need to have the CCDA by the end of February and should have the IPTX by then as well.
    Grab what books you can and start reading to prepare.

    The Sybex would probably be the best since time is short (and its a fun read when compared to the Cisco Press books).

    Hum.... while only CCNA level knowledge is required for the CCDA, you'd still get the IP Communications Express Specialist certification, since either the CCNA or CCDA is a prerequisite along with the the IPTX exam..... someone did their homework on that one! icon_lol.gif

    I agree that bootcamps are fine if someone else is paying. If you prepare in advance you can learn more stuff in a bootcamp. If you're not prepared, the bootcamp could just be confusing -- but if its using the official Cisco Courseware, you still could go over it again after the bootcamp at a slower pace to let the stuff sink in. Usually multiple "looks" at the material works better anyways for retention.
    ~Scott~ wrote:
    Since I have no hands-on, I am a bit concerned. However, I have been provided sufficient tools and time to study on the company dime. This company will pay for ALL training for me to achieve the highest level of certification that I desire... at this point, I would think CCIE-Voice would be the best fit with the direction of the company as well as industry trends.
    Sounds like a good deal!! Hopefully you can help them move up the "partner food chain" to the level where they have to spend the money on a "lab" (which could double as demo equipment to support sales). Now that would be Win-Win!!

    Good Luck!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • optimusoptimus Posts: 183Member
    ~Scott~ wrote:
    IThis company will pay for ALL training for me to achieve the highest level of certification that I desire...

    Scott

    My God.............. Why can't I find a company like that? icon_cry.gif


    - Optimus
  • ~Scott~~Scott~ Posts: 19Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    ~Scott~ wrote:
    I need to have the CCDA by the end of February and should have the IPTX by then as well.
    Grab what books you can and start reading to prepare.

    The Sybex would probably be the best since time is short (and its a fun read when compared to the Cisco Press books).

    Hum.... while only CCNA level knowledge is required for the CCDA, you'd still get the IP Communications Express Specialist certification, since either the CCNA or CCDA is a prerequisite along with the the IPTX exam..... someone did their homework on that one! icon_lol.gif

    I agree that bootcamps are fine if someone else is paying. If you prepare in advance you can learn more stuff in a bootcamp. If you're not prepared, the bootcamp could just be confusing -- but if its using the official Cisco Courseware, you still could go over it again after the bootcamp at a slower pace to let the stuff sink in. Usually multiple "looks" at the material works better anyways for retention.
    ~Scott~ wrote:
    Since I have no hands-on, I am a bit concerned. However, I have been provided sufficient tools and time to study on the company dime. This company will pay for ALL training for me to achieve the highest level of certification that I desire... at this point, I would think CCIE-Voice would be the best fit with the direction of the company as well as industry trends.
    Sounds like a good deal!! Hopefully you can help them move up the "partner food chain" to the level where they have to spend the money on a "lab" (which could double as demo equipment to support sales). Now that would be Win-Win!!

    Good Luck!

    Thanks for the input Mike. I have been lurking here for a while and have read a few of your posts... I was hoping you would chime in here.

    For the CCNA, I do have the Cybex CCNA book by Todd Lammle (5th Edition) and I also have a pre-study course (Web based) from Unitek called Introduction to Cisco Networking Technologies (INTRO) 2.0 that I have a total of about 33 hours into as of today.

    For the CCDA, I have the Cisco Press Study Guide (Current edition with Bruno/Kim I think? and the older version), the Cisco Press CCDA/CCDP Flash card set and the Cisco Press Top-Down Network Design by Priscilla Oppenheimer (2nd Edition)

    I have been studying quite a bit for several months and feel that I am almost ready for the bootcamp. They do use an official Cisco authorized curriculum according to their website.

    As far as future company plans, the first step is Premier Partner, then the IP Telephony Express Specialization. I hope to see the company achieve the Silver Partner status in the coming two years. A lab would be nice!

    I think I have the material that I need to learn... now it's just the "learning" part... icon_redface.gif I have more time into the CCNA stuff than the CCDA stuff, but the CCDA is really the one that I NEED. I started studying the DA stuff first and realized quickly that I needed a proper foundation on which to build... they aren't kidding when they say NA level knowledge is a prerequisite!

    Anyway... sorry I went so long with this. Thanks again for the input. I'm off to study!

    Scott
  • ~Scott~~Scott~ Posts: 19Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    optimus wrote:
    ~Scott~ wrote:
    IThis company will pay for ALL training for me to achieve the highest level of certification that I desire...

    Scott

    My God.............. Why can't I find a company like that? icon_cry.gif


    - Optimus

    It is rare... and nice... icon_cool.gif This company really invests back into the employees which in turn creates loyalty to the company... some of the employees have been here since its inception over 35 years ago!
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    ~Scott~ wrote:
    For the CCNA, I do have the Cybex CCNA book by Todd Lammle (5th Edition) and I also have a pre-study course (Web based) from Unitek called Introduction to Cisco Networking Technologies (INTRO) 2.0 that I have a total of about 33 hours into as of today.

    For the CCDA, I have the Cisco Press Study Guide (Current edition with Bruno/Kim I think? and the older version), the Cisco Press CCDA/CCDP Flash card set and the Cisco Press Top-Down Network Design by Priscilla Oppenheimer (2nd Edition)

    I think you have it covered! :D

    I read the Bruno/Kim book.... but its really the Teare CCDA Self-Study: Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN) that I recommend (along with Top-Down Network Design). But with the official courseware for the CCDA, you should be okay.

    I liked the Flash Cards (and that reference sheet PDF file on the CD was GREAT!!) -- but while I did fantastic on the DESGN practice exam questions, that didn't translate to a great score on the DESGN exam for me.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ~Scott~~Scott~ Posts: 19Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do also have the Teare book, but I thought that one was replaced by the Bruno/Kim book.... No?

    I got most of these books from a colleague at my company and just thought that book was an older version that he had used in the past. The only one I actually purchased was Top Down Network Design.

    I did notice that the material in the Teare book was MUCH easier to read and understand. I chalked it up to writing style though.

    Well... I'm set to be at the bootcamp next week. Thanks for the counsel!
  • ~Scott~~Scott~ Posts: 19Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just a little update.....

    Unitek is outstanding!

    I took the week long bootcamp for INTRO and ICND and passed the CCNA exam on Friday with an 872. I would have had closer to a 972 but I went into vapor lock on my last sim and had to exit it before it was complete. I was watching the time on the sim tick up and the time for my test tick down and just couldn't think. It was an EIGRP sim and I knew how to complete it, but couldn't get my mind to work.

    The class was fantastic... I learned a TON!

    I also had the DESGN class Saturday and Sunday.... took the CCDA exam on Sunday and passed with a 967.

    Now I need to do the Life Cycle Services Express exam... will probably schedule it for this week.

    Then I'll be back in San Jose in March for the IPTX.....
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ITdudeITdude Posts: 1,183Member
    Congrats Scott. I was waiting to hear from you about the Unitek experience and now I see that you did well.

    icon_wink.gif icon_thumright.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

    __________________________________________
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    (Leonardo da Vinci)
Sign In or Register to comment.