Options

2950 switch

eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
All,

Since I want to start building a lab,
I made an offer of 300 euro for 2 2950 switches.
I think they have both enterprise IOS
They guy just send me a mail I can come to get them
The question is:
What do I need to look at, keep an eye on?
Did I pay too much?

Thx in advance

Eastp.
Multitasking:
Screwing up several things at once.

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'm not sure what 300 euros comes out into US$ but for 2 of them i think its a good deal. as the further you go up the cisco track those will be very usable
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    keenon wrote:
    i'm not sure what 300 euros comes out into US$ but for 2 of them i think its a good deal. as the further you go up the cisco track those will be very usable

Sorry,
    It's about 395 US$
    Is there anything special that I need to check when I get them
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    have u seen a complete copy of the show version from each of them? that would be all
  • Options
    keenon wrote:
    have u seen a complete copy of the show version from each of them? that would be all

No I haven't.
    Thx for the reply.
    I'll ask to have a look at it before I take them with me.
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If they are 12 port switches, then you got an average deal. If they are 24 port models, then you got a great deal.

You might want to ask the guy what the enable passwords are for the switches. It will save you from having to do password recovery.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote:
    If they are 12 port switches, then you got an average deal. If they are 24 port models, then you got a great deal.

You might want to ask the guy what the enable passwords are for the switches. It will save you from having to do password recovery.

Just spoke to the guy on the phone.
    He didn't really know what type there are, but they are definitely NOT 12 ports.
    At least 24 possible even 48.
    He has them from a sellback from some customers and at the moment they are in a storing area. He is going to check it tomorrow and let me know just before I’ll leave to get them
    He also told me that he has several other Cisco stuff he wants to sell
    Some 7000 series routers some 2600 series among other.
    He is going to provide me a list when he calls me tomorrow.
    So with a bit of luck I’ll have my entire lab icon_smile.gif

Eastp.
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    good,
  • Options
    Sounds good. I've seen the 48 porters go for $800 for just one. Of course with a home lab, you probably have enough ports even with two 2950-12s.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote:
    Sounds good. I've seen the 48 porters go for $800 for just one. Of course with a home lab, you probably have enough ports even with two 2950-12s.

Thx for the reply's.
    I agree 12 ports will do the trick but I'll be very happy if it will be 2 48ports especially for the price of 300 euros (395 US$).

Just starting with my Cisco route, at the moment I have the sem sim, but I really want to have some really world experience so I want to build a lab as good as possible with the money I have to spend...
    So these 2 switches and some routers should get me on the way.
    You'll be seeing me more and more in the Cisco forums.
    I’ll let you know what I’ll get tomorrow after I’ll pick them up.

Kind regards.
    Eastp
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    Ok
    Passed by,
    When I got there it appeared that he only had 1 left,
    His partner had sold the other one.
    So I was left with only 1 24 port 2950.
    It cost aprox 197 US $(150 Euro)
    I got a roll over cable and a power supply as well.
    But now it looks like I'm not able to connect to configure the switch.
    Looks like I also need a RJ-45-to-DB-25 converter. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong(I really hoop I’m wrong ).
    I have a RJ-45-to-DB9 (I think it's called like this) lying around somewhere but I can't find it at the moment,
    New toy and not able to play with it.
    I'm going nuts at the moment, I really want to play with it but I can't... icon_cry.gif
    He didn't know the enable password since it was from a sellback so I'll need to do some password recovery as well.
    If I could only find the cable....

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The rollover cable is correct my friend, good link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007e881.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00801cd6d4.html#77549

And i beleive as others have said 197 USD for a 24 port 2950 is pretty damn good.

I know the cisco vets would say this stuff is easy but i have 11 of the 2950 24 port puppies to configure starting next week so ive been warned, so ill be using those links myself :)

Good luck and Happy new year.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Pash wrote:
    The rollover cable is correct my friend, good link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007e881.html

And i beleive as others have said 150 USD for a 24 port 2950 is pretty damn good.

Good luck and Happy new year.

Thx,
    I know it's a good deal but I would be very happy if I could start to play with it.
    Happy New year to you as well.
    And thanks for the Links :D
    Pash wrote:
    I should also ask what a good terminal-emulation program is to use also coz i have 11 of these fresh out the box to setup by mid jan. If anyone can help....

Although I guess just using the built in hyperterminal program for windows xp is good enough right?
    I normally use the build in as well, but I’m NO Cisco expert so...
    Possible there is a better.

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    yeh I used hyperterminal at college a few months back now, but my teacher reccommended another program, and im trying to find the note I made of the name. I guess someone could suggest something.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Here's the console cable you need

http://www.anthonypanda.com/product.php?prd_id=166&opt_id=235

The guy has all kinds of accessories for Cisco, ships worldwide
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    yeh I used hyperterminal at college a few months back now, but my teacher reccommended another program, and im trying to find the note I made of the name. I guess someone could suggest something.

The stock one in w2k and xp is kind of nasty with the display, Hilgraeve has a free upgrade on their website. click help->about->upgrade info.

Several schools recommend SecureCRT by VanDyke software as it handles encryption and is or was used by some of the Cisco labs. In a mixed win/Linux environment some prefer ZOC by emtec. Then there is Tigerterm and quite a few others.

Basically find one that you like and stay away from special features unique to a given product. You don't want to train your fingers for what you might not see universally.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheShadow wrote:
    You don't want to train your fingers for what you might not see universally.

That's why I just use hyperterminal. It's the most basic of basic consoles and is universal. You can never get caught off guard if you're used to the most basic way to do something.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    good advice cheers fellas.