Options

Windows XP swap file

RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
OK, I bought two sticks of 512MB RAM bringing me up to 1.5GB on my system. Everything seems to be running more smoothly and a little faster. Now I am wondering about the Windows XP swap file. I have always heard that the minimum size should be set to 1.5 times physical RAM, and the maximum should be 3 times physical RAM. Of course, 4.5GB is greater than 4GB, which is the maximum size swap file that Windows XP will allow.

For the time being, I am letting Windows XP manage my swap file settings. But, I am just wondering if there are any better ideas on swap file sizing? icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I've always gone wtih the 1 and 1.5 rule and it's worked out fine

try moving youer fiel ot another drive besides the system dive...has to be physical though

it will also improve your performance
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is there any point in creating more than one swap file if you have multiple partitions/drives? I figure you'll only ever really be able to use one.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a swap partition and use that alone. Turn off swap space on all other drivs and things are sweet.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One precaution I always take is to leave at least a 100MB (MS says 20MB) on the system drive (typically the C: drive). If you somehow lose your other drive containing your swap file your system will become unbootable.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was just recently reading up on this subject. According to the literature, it sais to put the pagefile.sys onto another partition. Do not put on a boot, or system partition. This will help a little. To get the best advantage you need to put it onto another disk. Remember even though you put it onto another partition, its still on the same hard drive. Thus putting it onto another drive would give best advantage.
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I added a 180GB drive to my desktop computer last night and create a 60GB partition for god-knows-what, yet. I threw my swap on there and made it 2-3GB in size.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I only have one hard drive. Looks like I will stick with the "1 and 1.5 rule" which works OK for me. I'll look into getting another hard drive later when funds do permit. :)
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    What I have found to be the best is to put it on another drive and to make the minimum and maximum the same size... I guess the theory to that is that it will not fragment and will be a little faster to find on the drive since it is all kept together. i also set a small one up on my system drive in case my second drive fails.

I have found that when I do this I get great results.