Options

Salaries?

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
Hi. I'm starting CCNA this semester, on my way to CCNP, then (hopefully) CCIE. For those here who work as CCNAs, just wondering what kind of salaries you're making? Not to pry, but I am very interested, as I'll probably try and get a job as a CCNA as soon as get certified while working on my CCNP, if that's possible. We'll see. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Experience counts more than any cert :) Its a true fact.

You really have to sell your experience before you can convince an employer that you are the right candidate. So you ask how do you get that experience? Well its hard, beleive me, I only just landed my ideal starting job in the industry through word of mouth and a interview that went to plan.

My advice is build your cv up using a technical cv type layout, there is a thread on these forums with some good advice here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15164

Work towards your cert, it won't hurt because you can learn a lot. Also read these forums a lot, there are some very good post's by the regulars that will get you thinking and many good resources as well. I know from personal experience that on more than one occasion ive used the search function on these boards to find out about something I didn't know or had limited knowledge on.

To sum up, consider that you have to start with that "entry" job position first. There is no immediate starting salary for a ccna, its an entry level networking cert and there are very few positions that you can go straight into that will use all the things you will learn from it.

Good luck mate.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It depends on where you live, what you do, and what kind of environment you work in. If you work in a progressive work environment that encourages your certifications (but doesn't require them) and allows you to be hands on and really work with equipment, you'll end up netting more money than if you work in an archaic system that sees you as a number. I got a small raise just for passing the INTRO exam, and I'm going to get a decent bit more when I pass the ICND next week.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    I've got 0 certs, starting to work on them now but I have 8+ years networking experience ranging from Colo/NOC work, sys admining, security engineering, ISP work. I make in the upper 60's but used to make in the low 90's during the dotcom days. In my experience, I've seen certified engineers make more, and make less as well. Experience always pays more than a cert would in my opinion and in every shop I've been to, this has been the case. When you move on into the Fortune500/1000 arena though, certs get you a foot in the door quicker
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Get your foot in the door with any network job you can get. 2 years of "Bums on seat" experience and you are set for life. If you can't get better and you have a awful job... deal with it for 2 years! This is the golden rule of the industry - Get 2 years experience. Doesn't matter what it is, even if you just answer the phones, it is a place to start from. Obviously the higher the starting point the better but take what you can.

Once there and you have money coming in, don't get lazy and think you've made it... You have higher ambitions and those techies that sit on their butt never realise them although they would like to be. Keep up your learning and certs.

*sad fact is you need the certs these days as the industry becomes ever more popular and competition becomes more fierce *
    Kam.
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    With about 3 years of work place experience and a 2 year technical degree, and zero certs, I was making $20/hr. from my latest job. Unfortunately its contract work, and only lasted 2 months. But cause you asked... I will tell :)

Obviously I'd prefer to make more and work longer. But I am bummed out and looking for my next job. Fortunately by now I have a few contacts from previous jobs and referrals will simplify the job seeking process a bit.

Edit: If I get my CCNA, is it asking too much or too little to be expecting about $25/hr.? I live in the east coast but I don't work in NYC. A friend of mine lives in Philly and I want to check his place out by the end of January, as well as taking a ride around town and seeing if its a good place for me to explore, both social life and career wise.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    RatsRats Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it's way too little. first of all, if you have CCNA and 3 yrs experience, you should be salaried. unless you are union, in which case you would be making way more than $25/hr. in any case, don't take anything less than $5k/month for an entry level position, and $6.5k/month for a tier-2 or tier-3 position. I work for a large, fortune 100 utility company, and without any certs and only 1.5 years experience i was offered $4.5k/month to man the first level call center. now it will go much higher since I got my CCNA :)