Options

Book for Net+

Stan27Stan27 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
First off, let me apologize for posting something that might have been overdone, but I did search first.

I recently purchased the Exam Prep book for Network+, which seems to be the same as the Exam Cram books.

I have heard that these books are really good, or really suck.
I am doing self study with a book and the TechNotes from this site. With that in mind, did I get a good book?

What are some authors I should be looking for when buying books?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    personally, I'm not a fan of exam cram....I'm confused by their series already without even turning a page...there's exam cram, exam cram 2, exam cram 1st ed., exam cram 2nd ed, exam cram 2 1st ed., exam cram 2 2nd ed....ahhh~

for A+, and Network+, look for Mike Meyers....by far the best author....
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    I see what you mean.
    I guess I'll read through this book and take some practice tests to see whether it was good enough or not.

I have heard that Meyers is good, would I be better off getting the big book or the passport one to supplement the one I have?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    The All in One Guide would be the "complete" and detailed version, but the passport is good if you have other sources. I used the technotes here, meyers network+ passport, and a textbook I had for data communications and I was fine.

I recall the bigger one was more than 3 times the price of the passport edition, so I couldnt justify...but as it turns out, the passport was a really handy reference even for some of the MCSA exams, and now as refresher for CCNA.

Good luck!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Yeah, something that I can use for future reference is a good thing to have.

I'm convinced on the passport, thanks. :D
  • Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    I would personaly go for the Sybex, self study guide IMO
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • Options
    The Sybex books seem like a great deal.
    The book: $34.49
    I then save $45 on my test if I take it before July(I know I will).

I'd return the book I got, but I already opened the CD that came with it. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483

for A+, and Network+, look for Mike Meyers....by far the best author....

Agree!!

MM is what I used for A+, and it was a great read!!!

Now, that being said, I've used Sybex for the rest of my certs (Net+ and MCDST).

I found that ExamCram while it has good points, goes too far into details on things that you'll not need for the exam (IMO)
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!