Options

Got a Job!

I feel like I'm patting myself on the back by posting this here, but maybe this will encourage or help some people out. And, I'm so excited I don't think I could have helped myself. icon_smile.gif

So, I had a basic linux admin job making about $36k/year. I began this job about 6 years ago in technical support. Within 2 years worked my way up through the company, finally joining the "engineering department" and earning the wage I just stated. My job became fairly mundane, and I wasn't doing many new things. So, I became a little dissatisfied. A couple weeks ago I began putting a lot of work into making a great resume, partly by using the tips in this forum (thanks guys!). I put it up on some of the job posting sites, particularly dice.com, monster.com, and justtechjobs.com.

Immediately I began getting inquiries from hiring angencies. I received probably 2 or 3 emails or phone calls each day. Only about 1/3 seemed to be jobs that I was qualified for. After all, these hiring agencies aren't IT experts, so, sometimes they are off-base on their assessments.

I did some interviews, and did great on the majority. Some positions ran me through 2 and even 3 interviews. I ended up getting 3 offers, and negotiated the one I liked best up to $52k/year with benefits! Not only that, but its a security related job. Security is just the field I want to get into.

So, there's a moral to the story. You can always get a huge break like it seems like I did. Don't get discouraged by where you are at right now. Keep working hard and educating yourself while you get all of the experience you can. You can definitely achieve your goals, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't! I also DON'T have a degree. So, don't let that stop you. I know I really let that get to me for awhile. So, just get out there and do it!

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    Heh, that is so awesome my friend. You give people like me hope in this world, and in reality we all need a lil hope. Never lose your competitive edge for the rest of our sakes. Congratulations man.
    Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! What a way to start out the new year.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    congrats :D
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    Worcester sucks.

Besides that great to hear.
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)