Options

Experience in networking

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
I'm close to taking my CCNA now and I am wondering if current working network techies could give me some advice with regard to networking experience.

I've been in IT support for almost 13 years now in jobs ranging from helpdesk, pc support, networks, unix admin upto MS/Novell server admin. I currently work as a contractor whilst getting my CCNA so I can get a permanent job in the networking arena which is where I want to be.

10 years ago I spent a year helping out the network manager with cabling up patch panels, wall ports and various fly leads. Helping with network monitoring etc but that was back in the days when it was shared networks (ie all hubs, bridges and no switches). There was one router but I had no access to that not that I would of had a clue of what to do with it back then.

I am wondering how much of this previous experience will count when I get my CCNA and start sending my CV out for networking jobs. Would you think I would get a look in fom a pile of 10-20 CVs for a networking post?

Thanks for any advice in advance and brutally honest is quite aceptable :D
Kam.

Comments

• Options
    SVSV Member Posts: 166
    I believe you will have a very good chance since you are exposed to various fields in IT including helpdesk and system administration. Being in unix administration I believe you are already exposed to IP Addressing, securities using Iptables, etc

There are lots of jobs that requires skills both in the field of network administration and system administration. I am quite sure that your skills will be very helpful. :)
    Life is a journey...