Options

SYBEX BOOK TRUSTWORTHY? Check this out.

route-eroute-e Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok so the i'm looking at the online excerpt for the MCDST Book from Sybex and have already read some things that just didn't sit well with me. So the last straw was this one regarding upgrading to XP.

"All client computers with Windows 95 or later operating
systems can be upgraded to Windows XP"

So I take a look at the matrix MS has on their website and it contradicts as expected so for yourself: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

So whats the deal? can anyone tell me if this is just a mistake in the online excerpt.

Online Excerpt: http://media.wiley.com/product_data/excerpt/20/07821435/0782143520-1.pdf
Sometimes a cert, can just plain hurt.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    that would be a mistake on their part because they should have phrased it better. But if you read the next paragraph, they do tell you that you should run upgrade advisor on a client computer to determine compatability.

Microsoft's MCDST objectives relating to upgrade paths does say that you should know what works and what doesnt, but there's more to it than just memorizing the paths, what the author likely might have meant isnt invalid, because you could upgrade Windows 95 to Windows 98 first, and then upgrade to Windows XP.

I have a copy of the book, and it was a great read to tell you the truth. I am sure many others will agree with me that the Sybex MCDST is a good material for the exams.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Sybex is good. It's probably a mistake on the website.

I passed my 271 test, and take my 272 tomorrow. I've used Sybex since my A+ days. They haven't let me down yet.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    route-eroute-e Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input......still chaps my hide that you have to worry about the way MS might "phrase" something on the exam.

Thanks again!
    Sometimes a cert, can just plain hurt.
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    route-e wrote:
    Thanks for the input......still chaps my hide that you have to worry about the way MS might "phrase" something on the exam.

Thanks again!

It's always going to be the Microsoft way. If you're worried about it, you could go with the MS Press books.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!