Options

Need help - Salary related

ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
Hello guys,

I decided it was time to go ahead and post my resume online. I posted it two days ago and I already got a call today. It was a staffing agency, and they offered me about $12.50/hour for helpdesk. While I have no experience ( ie, I haven't worked in IT before ), I am one exam away from getting my MCSA and I wondered whether or not I should take that. I believe that's nowhere near what I should be getting with my certs, and wanted to know what would be the starting salary for Helpdesk with no experience, but with A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, and being one exam from MCSA 2003. Thanks, I greatly appreciate all of your responses.

I forgot to add I also have an Associate Degree in Computer Information Systems.
Every day hurts, the last one kills.

Comments

• Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Sometimes, getting your foot in the door and having experience on the resume means more than your certificates. It's all in how the employer looks at it. Personally, I took a job making squat for my first IT position. I was making more delivering parts for auto stores, but I needed my foot in the door.

After 6 months, I was out of there making a hell of a lot more.

The point is, it's entry level and you won't be making that forever. You could go in, get your MCSA completed, then negotiate a salary increase.

You could also wait, and see what else comes a long. Remember, this is your first job, and companies like to see experience too. They're probably looking at your certs and seeing that you have no experience, but a lot certifications. Not insulting you by any means, but you have to think where they're coming from too.

Best of luck!
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    Onion,

Thanks for the honest reply. I undertand experience plays a very important role in getting hired, and totally agree with you. I want to get as many opinions as I can get, because if I were to take it, I'll sacrifice a lot. I was planning to enroll at FIU to get my bachelor, and if I take that I will most likely postpone my bachelor, or study at night. I want to see what I should be aiming for more or less in terms of salary/hour so that my sacrifice won't be for nothing. I am making $12.50 an hour right now, so it seems pointless to go for it. I also forgot to add it's a contract I have to sign with the staffing company, and I won't be able to negotiate my salary in a year. It is also far from where I live, that's why I wanted to get opinions!!!
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Well, a BS is far more important than salary right now, however.... like you said, you can do that @ night. It's all in what you want. A BS with certs, plus experience is great on a resume.

I can understand the distance part, as it can wreak havoc on transportation and your wallet with gas. However, I've got guys that work with me who come from PA (1.5 hour commute). Now... that's a drive!

Get some more opinions and think about it. They'll be more offers to come, I promise. However, don't look a gift horse in the mouth... meaning.. experience is going to look MUCH better, than certifications (My experience in the 5 interviews I've had)
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have never worked in IT, any job is a good one. I don't see how you making the same rate of pay as your current job would be a detriment, if you are looking to stay in IT.

If you take the same route as most people, not being able to negotiate this contract will not matter because you will have already moved on to the next on by then.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    If you have never worked in IT, any job is a good one. I don't see how you making the same rate of pay as your current job would be a detriment, if you are looking to stay in IT.

If you take the same route as most people, not being able to negotiate this contract will not matter because you will have already moved on to the next on by then.

The pay rate wouldn't be a detriment at all, and that wasn't exactly what I really meant to imply. What I meant was, is it really worth to postpone getting my bachelor, leave my current job where I have seniority and great benefits ( 2 weeks paid vacation + 6 sick days, 5 personal days a year ), simply because I need the experience ? I don't know for some other people, but getting a bachelor means a lot to me, and getting hired at $12.50 just to get experience just doesn't cut it for me. I'm sure more offers will come along, I have declined this one for now. Thanks for all the input though.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's good... nothing wrong with wanting to focus on your degree first.

Keep in mind, though, that as you approach the end of you education, you will be many, many, many times better off when you graduate if you have some IT work experience. Maybe you could pick up an IT contract or part time gig when you are closer to graduation.

Regards

blargoe
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...