Options

Far side of the router ?

dannoweldannowel Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
All in the topic ! I just read on mcmcse.com study guide the troubleshooting steps and i saw that steps, what then by far side ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    I aplogise for saying this but: Can you be more specific in your question, give more detail, etc
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • Options
    dannoweldannowel Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is on MCMSE study guide, check for #4...!? what they mean by far side of the router according to yo icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif

==================================================
    Basic TCP/IP troubleshooting steps include:

1. Ping 127.0.0.1 - This is the loopback address and verifies that the computer that you are pinging from can communicate via TCP/IP with its own ethernet adapter.

2. Ping own IP address - Verifies that a valid IP address was entered for this computer.

3.Ping default gateway - Typically this would be the near side of a router. If you can
    ping this address, then you should be able to ping other hosts on your same subnet.

4.Ping far side of router - This will verify that the routing table is correct.

5.Ping remote host - If this works then it would appear that there are valid communications. If you are unable to connect to a host via host or domain name, see if you can connect to it using its IP address. If so, then you are likely having name resolution problems and should check your DNS configuration.

===================================================
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    dannowel wrote:
    This is on MCMSE study guide, check for #4...!? what they mean by far side of the router according to yo icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif

4.Ping far side of router - This will verify that the routing table is correct.

it's referring to an exterior network.

in a simple network like:
     A          B          C
     -  Router  -  Switch  -   Host 

On the host machine you will do 1) and 2) to ensure functionality of C, and 3) to check B, and 4, the far side router will check A, and 5 double checks everything once again and ensure you have working connectivity to remote host through A, B, and C.
    Jack of all trades, master of none