Options

TCP/IP Utilities Question: Use Linux or Windows references?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Should I use Linux man pages for a reference for TCP/IP utilities or reference MS website?
I've been using Linux for the last six years, so alot of their commands come naturally to me, but I've seen some example exam questions and many seem to reference Windows.

For example:

Traceroute in Linux is used like this from the command line:

traceroute

Traceroute in Windows is used like this:

tracert

And in addition, alot of the flags are different too.

So for the Network+ exam, which one should I reference?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    If you have access to a windows machine, just type "command /?".

Some you might want to look at (some really DUH)

Ping
    Tracert
    Netsh
    pathping
    ipconfig (like ifconfig... but it allows for dns renewing and stuff related to that).
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    nuglobe wrote:
    If you have access to a windows machine, just type "command /?".

Some you might want to look at (some really DUH)

Ping
    Tracert
    Netsh
    pathping
    ipconfig (like ifconfig... but it allows for dns renewing and stuff related to that).

Yes, I do have access to XP on my laptop (which I rarely use LOL, but looks like I'm going to).

Another reason to start using XP is that nbtstat doesn't exist on Linux, and you make another good point, its ifconfig in Linux, instead of ipconfig...

thanks
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/tcpiputils.shtml

In those TechNotes, as well as in the official exam objectives, you can see which are for Windows and which are for Unix/Linux:
    4.1 Given a troubleshooting scenario, select the appropriate network utility from the following:
    - Tracert / traceroute
    - Ping
    - Arp
    - Netstat
    - Nbtstat
    - Ipconfig / ifconfig
    - Winipcfg
    - Nslookup /Dig

Those in bold are obviously for Linux, for the others you should focus on the Windows output, escpecially if you are used to ping, arp, netstat on Linux already. For those who don't have experience with Linux I recommend installing it (ie. in Virtual PC) so you can practice the commands on both OSs.