Options

On-line job sites

emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,
I am getting ready to graduate in a couple of months. I posted my resume on about 5 job sites. All the big ones and a few little ones. All i have been getting is junk response. Nobody has even been close to what i am applying for. I got one from IBM, but it was sent at 4am in the morning. I know nobody was sitting at their desk looking at my resume at 4am. I investigated and it required 6yrs exp. So obviously nobody ever had looked at my resume. The only real inquire i have gotten was from a hospital head hunter. They were looking for repiratory therapists. I use to do that. The only reference to repiratory was in my education section. My Objective is pretty clear and straight forward. 99% of the jobs emailed to me are sales. One was in insurance. Im at a lost how they came up with that from my resume. Anyway, my question is--Is this all i can expect from these on line sites, or will i get "Real" offers or inquires. Im not in a hurry to get a job because i still have a few more months to go. I would like a few responses on your experiences with these job sites. Of course i will try the normal ways of looking for jobs also, but this is my first time with these things. thanks later
lungsucker.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I am a contractor and change jobs frequently. I have been with the same agency for four years now so I would recommend finding a good one and stick with it until they start becoming not so good.

Don't be afraid to phone around agencies directly. Get past the switchboard and get through to the person who handles the sort of work you are after. Say you have sent in your CV and are wondering if anything has come up yet. Doing that will put you in the back of their mind when new jobs come in. It will also give you an idea of the company and how good they will be at finding you a job.

Your after a job so take no prisoners. Once you have secured a position then you can start making friends. Until then they are either competitors or tools to help you get work. Harsh I know but so is trying to support yourself on the dole while waiting for someone to pick you out of a big pile.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I don't know what kind of experience you have, but if it's limited, with a set of certs like you have, you'll probably get overlooked often......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So what your saying is i should go back and take my certs off my resume?? Looking at forums, including this one, i thought it was a good thing to have certs. If it will get me a job i will be glad to take it off my resume. I dont understand the logic though. I was under the impression that hiring managers wanted someone with a little knowledge of what they were going to be performing. Ive had no life for past three years studying for these things. Its seems odd that im the only person who shouldnt have them.
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I don't know what kind of experience you have, but if it's limited, with a set of certs like you have, you'll probably get overlooked often......

Total nonsense icon_exclaim.gif ....

Continue to apply for jobs that fits your skills and education.....it's just tht it takes a lil time to get started as a professional in the IT world.

keep posting your CV.....i'm sure you'll be recognized soon.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Ricka182 wrote:

Never, never leave any experience, education, or certifications off your resume that are relevant to the job you're trying for. There is absolutely no reason why you should sell yourself short to get hired. Well, I'll make two exceptions: don't list degrees or certs if you're trying to get hired to work the register at McDonald's, and don't list a PhD or a CCIE if you're trying to land a gig as a CompUSA or Geek Squad technician. The only realistic situation you'd ever be passed up because you're over-educated or over-certified is when you're going for a job that is on the very low-end of the payscale, or if the position is so basic that the employer might be afraid you'll find something better and leave the place. Either way, it's in your best interest to list more credentials on your resume, rather than fewer.

In my experience, as it's been in pretty much everyone else's, the more you can bring to the table, the more likely you are to get hired (and at the salary you want). Good luck on your job-hunt, I'm sure you'll find something you'll like. There's always going to be a lot of junk to sift through, there's always going to be dry-spells, so you just have to keep looking and keep working towards what you want.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Actually, I never said leave anything off your resume. I don't where anyone who replied saw that, but I didn't say it. I believe it to be well known that one who has lots of certs, and no experience is a questionable hire, especially seeing as you can **** to get certs. I'm not saying you cheated, but if I had to choose between certs and experience, I would choose experience, anyday, everyday, hands down....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I believe it to be well known that one who has lots of certs, and no experience is a questionable hire, especially seeing as you can **** to get certs.

People can **** to get their degree too, unfortunately.
    Ricka182 wrote:
    but if I had to choose between certs and experience, I would choose experience, anyday, everyday, hands down....

But he doesn't have any experience. He's a recent college grad. I don't think he's being overlooked for having a college degree and certs. A recent college grad is not a questionable hire for having certs with no xp, it's fairly common and also a good indication that he has more than the few computer courses that some colleges require for a CS degree. I think it's more a matter of the right employer seeing his resume. It just takes time.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I depend on my leadership experience and references to get a job. I don't have an IT job yet, but that is only becuase I am 16. If you are mutli-educated with many skills, employers will hire you. I would rather get a six figure salery working in business administration than a $50,000 dollar job as a JR. admin. I do love IT though. You should find a good job. Keep trying.

Also, certs are meaningless if you have no business background. My instructor has worked in the IT field for 20 years and she has stressed this. Get more skills and you will definately succeed. All exampes do have exceptions though.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland
  • Options
    PhilippatosPhilippatos Inactive Imported Users Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, some of these head hunters are so lazy nowadays they even use bots and spam to find recruits. Heck, why even show up for work, you can yap on the phone all day lying in bed at home....

Anyway and FWIW, I've pretty much given up on all but two of the boards: Careerbuilder for local jobs and Dice for out-of-town work.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/
    http://www.dice.com/