Options

Really Newbie question? What's an MSDN Subcription?

MeiraleahMeiraleah Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have this? What's it used for? Is it worth getting? A whole world is opening up to me.....

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    It's a web site http://msdn.microsoft.com/

I was not aware of it either. It's a source for a lot of Microsoft info.
    A whole world is opening up to me.....

Yes, and that world will get bigger--real fast, but I would say that a person should get some foundational studies like A+ done before buying into any in-depth products. I know that you want to learn everything all at once, but it doesn't happen(Actually, I'm sure that you know that).

But, It sounds like your "hooked". I've read in different places, if a person
    really wants an IT career, study for and get an A+ cert. By the time that you get it you will have a good idea of what path you want to take.

Best of luck.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    mynameisboringmynameisboring Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I put this in another topic but here you go
    Check http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/subscribe/default.asp
    for information on MSDN subscriptions the highest is about 3000 US, much less then those tech schools. I personally went to Devry and that cost me 12k US, it was helpful to get my career started because of contacts I made as a result of the school. But I use about 1% of what I learned in school now.

This company I work for has one and right now in my hands I have a copy of Microsoft Office profession enterprise edition 2003 but but but here is the catch if you decide to use it for good you MUST buy the license. Check their license agreemant on details.

So to sum it up: You get a whole bunch of CDs with patches on it, along with some of their products they sell (to repeat) all on CDs, mailed to you ever quarter I believe.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    That is Developers website. If you're just working on A+, then it's not really for you. Take a tip too, take your time with A+, it may sound and/or look easy, but I'm amazed by how many people who don't know anything about computers in general. I have a guy in my MCSE class, who didn't know how to make a new file, or folder, or log off, or just about anythin other than what he did for 10 years before his layoff. Now he's trying MCSE, without any basics of how computers work.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    MeiraleahMeiraleah Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh that's pretty funny. No, I'm not in a wild hurry. I just didn't know what it was. I wanted resources so I could self-study.