Changing IP Addresses of Domain Controllers

flames1000flames1000 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Here is the scoop on what is going on. Our current ip addresses are 10.5.2.x and my boss wants to change to 192.168.x.x. We will be using voip also so we will be using 2 subnets on the network and also we are running out of valid addresses and need to go to a custom subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to add more hosts.

Anyways, I have just started looking into what will happen when i change the IPs of our 5 Domain controllers and 15 member servers. Has anyone gone through this? I really dont think we should have too many problems, but im just looking for any "Watch out fors".

We have 1 site setup for our sister company through sites and services and use Sonicwall router to router vpns. My main question is, what will happen with the domain controllers when the IPs are changed, Is it simple or can things get a little hairy?

We will have the new addresses setup in DHCP and will have address blocks setup for static ips. Im thinking that after changing the IPs that they will update in DNS and things should be alright. All our printers/copiers are are set with IPs so that will take a bit to update.

All servers are Windows server 2003 and clients are Windows Vista (3), Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional.

I have a bit of home work to do with this, but i thought i would ask some of the gurus here for some pointers too :)

thanks

Flames

Comments

• tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    I had a similar situation and they updated there dns records just fine after changing the IP's, if not you can always change the DNS info manually.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.