Options

MAC addresses

9002530990025309 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know where i can get a summary of what i need to learn about MAC addresses, without me having to trawl through 30+ pages of information on MAC addresses.

Comments

• Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    90025309 wrote:
    Does anyone know where i can get a summary of what i need to learn about MAC addresses, without me having to trawl through 30+ pages of information on MAC addresses.

The Network+ exam skims the surface but the main points you should remember are:

- MAC Addresses are 6 bytes (48 bits) 12 digits long i.e. 08:00:69:02:01:FC
    - The first 3 bytes are assigned by the manufacturer/OUI
    - MAC Addresses are unique
    - MAC addresses are used to identify a device's hardware address on a network

You may also want to read up on ARP and RARP but I would only imagine you would get asked what ARP is used for or what RARP is used for. Read the objectives on the CompTIA website and it will tell you the exact requirements for the exam

http://certification.comptia.org/network/default.aspx

Malc
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    90025309 wrote:

I really dont think shortcuts is the way to go.

In addition to what's mention, MAC address is a layer 2 sublayer, and I think that's as much clarification one needs, the rest will be up to you. Take the time, read and understand what you have in your material.

I see that you have A+, and I assume you will want something more after you get Network+, if you take shortcuts today, it will only make your future studies even harder.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    pixelpersonpixelperson Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This link had some good info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Also I remember that a question sometimes pops up that expects you to know that the MAC address has 6 bytes. These are "divided."

The first 3 bytes is the Organizational Uniqe Identifyer (OUI) Which means that it is unique to each vendor...3Com or whoever made it.

The last 3 bytes are NIC specific and are locally administered. The remaining six characters are added at the factory, based on the NICs model and manufacture date, and collectively form the Device ID.

The specifications for the MAC address are included within 802.1 standard.

Be sure to study the Data Link layer and know how Logical Link Control (LLC) and Media Acess Control work.

My book from IT 310 (Networking & Telecommunications class in college) is Network+ Guide to Networks, 4th Edition by Tamara Dean. Includeds a CD and is an excellent sourse. Reading is a bit dry, but it is highly informative if you are new to Networking.
    I picked mine up from Amazon (Used, low price w/CD)

Good luck
    Pixelperson
    Miami, FL
    Pixelperson
    Miami, FL