Options

practice Exam on the site

dpsec_hyddpsec_hyd Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
How many collision domains are there in the network shown below? Exhibit

The answer says the hosts connected to a bridge in one collision domain. Is it correct
??

Comments

• Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No picture....
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • Options
    20. How many collision domains are there in the network shown below?

Answer(s): e. 5

How to add a picture to it? I don't know.

The exhibit shows

1 switch with 3 hosts connected
    switch is connected to a bridge
    3 hosts are connected to the bridge

And the answer, it says is 5. And shows all the hosts connected to the bridge in one collision domain.

But it should be 7 if I am not wrong.
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you doing the lab quiz from cisco net academy?? If so i can tell you how to figure it out>
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    I am doing the practice test on this site itself.
  • Options
    I guess the TechNotes didn't clear it up, it's a different image... As you can see in the diagram of the question, the PCs on the right are not each individually connected to a separate port on the bridge (that would make it a switch like the left side of the diagram), they represent a single ethernet segment with multiple PCs, which are all on a single collision domain.
  • Options
    what are you saying?? U mean all the hosts can be put in to a single port in the bridge?? If the hosts are connected to a bridge directly then they have to be on separate ports right? And if they are connected to separate ports it has to be separate collision domains for each host. I think they missed another brigde to hub connection in the picture. And thats what you were mentioning right?
  • Options
    If the hosts are connected to a bridge directly then they have to be on separate ports right?
    No. Like I said in my previous reply, it represents an Ethernet segment, and as you can see there's only one line going from the bridge to the entire segment. Again, the PCs on the right are not each individually connected to a separate port on the bridge, that would make it a switch like the left side of the diagram. But a bridge is used to connect networks at layer 2, not to connect individual stations like a hub or switch often does.
    I think they missed another brigde to hub connection in the picture. And thats what you were mentioning right?
    No, that's not what I'm saying. And it's not 'they'. ;) But, the results 'are' the same as if there would be a hub. "Bridges" were particularly popular in 10Base2 and 10Base5 (the classic 'Ethernet' networks), which don't use a start topology with hubs or switches. Regardless, the way the hosts on the right are depicted, the lines, is the standard representation for Ethernet networks. I hope that clears it up.
  • Options
    kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dpsec_hyd wrote:
    20. How many collision domains are there in the network shown below?

Answer(s): e. 5

How to add a picture to it? I don't know.

The exhibit shows

1 switch with 3 hosts connected
    switch is connected to a bridge
    3 hosts are connected to the bridge

And the answer, it says is 5. And shows all the hosts connected to the bridge in one collision domain.

But it should be 7 if I am not wrong.

The answer is 5 because well lets do the break down.....3 host connectedd to the switch of course are in 3 different collision domains...the switchport connected to the bridge is in a collision domain, and the 3 hosts connected to the bridge are in a single collision domain, because they share a single bridgeport...hence same collision domain.

3+1+1=5
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.