Video Card Opinion

endersftdendersftd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm working on upgrading the video card in my girlfriend's computer. Her computer has a good motherboard, but it doesn't support PCI-e, only AGP 8X. Given that, which of these two videocards would give the most performance for 3D gaming (off-site links go to Newegg.com):

GeForce 7800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046

GeForce 7600GS 512MB 128-bit GDDR2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143069

The 7800GS has only half the onboard RAM as the 7600GS, however the RAM is GDDR3, which is faster and cooler than the GDDR2. It also runs in 256-bit, versus 128. The 7600GS is less expensive.

So which do you think would be better - the faster one, or the one with more RAM, in regards to 3D gaming? I appreciate (as always) any advice from the TechNet forum members. :)
"We will rule over all this land, and we will call it...'This Land.'"

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go with the 512MB video card, but that is just me.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • PhilippatosPhilippatos Inactive Imported Users Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 7600 GS also comes fanless. I'm using a PCI-E version made by XFX.
    http://4crito.com/screenshots/fc6_jan3.png

But if strictly for games more FPS are always better.

I use my computer for audio/video too so loud whirring fans are out of the question.
  • tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go with the 7800. How many pixel pipelines does each one have? I think it is the 7800. More pipelines and shaders=better graphics.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland
  • endersftdendersftd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tony,

That was the opinion I got from the forums on www.GameFAQs.com. They all said to forget the onboard RAM numbers and go for the one that was faster.

I appreciate all the advice guys. :) The people on Techexams are the best! :)
  • tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't totally forget the onboard ram, it is just 256mb with GGR3 256 bits is more sufficient than 512mb with half the speed and graphics. If it was only 128mb, I would go with the other, but 256mb of ram is more than sufficient. I am only telling you this for future reference. Go with my first choice for sure.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland
  • endersftdendersftd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I understand. I knew there was a tipping point at which a card with lesser onboard RAM would still perform the same or as better as one that had more because of other factors, I just wasn't sure at which point. Thanks again!!

Now I just need to get a PSU that supports 20amps on the 12v rail.