Options

Mailbox question

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello,

I currently work for a government organization. I don't know if anyone knows about the new law of keeping ALL emails that enter.

We have a linux mail filter that the emails hit first before it goes into exchange 2003 and distributed to mailboxes.

What we want is something to hold all the emails, so basically when the mail from outside comes in, hits the filter... for it to send 2 copies, 1 to a dummy account for our records and the other to the actual person.

Can this be done through linux or even exchange 2003?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Are you allowed to do that ?

Legally an email is considered as evidence. Therefore, an employee's email should be considered private to the addressee unless some sort of investigation is ordered through personnel. It certainly is not the property of the company regardless whether it is company business or a private message and regardless if it is a normal company or a government organisation.

I don't think, though correct me if I am wrong, that an IT department or company even, has the legal right to look at their employee's email without their written consent. Therefore, taking a copy of it should also not be allowed as the employee probably has no idea that it is being done.

Sorry for not answering your question but the subject rang alarm bells with me.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    I believe legally it can be done (How... I'm not sure)

Most companies have a consent to log in banner displayed on screen before logging in. It's basically stating, anything and everything on this system is monitored 24/7. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

You can do this in Exchange, although have never tested it myself.

Investigate the "Archive All Messages Sent or Receive by Mailboxes on this store" option

Right click Mailbox Store > Properties > General Tab > Archive Option.

Be aware that this will also increase workload on the Server and use more HDD space.