Is A+ even worth getting for a job......

tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want to go as far as I can go in the IT field. My question is: with all the braindumps and comments about cheaters, Is the A+ still reputable enough to pursue? I can pass it know, as well as the network+, but I have hesitated because of Comptia's simplicity of their tests. Which direction should I go? I am thinking of double majoring in programming and Networking- security route. My goal is to get my CEH. What should I do?
Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
TONY Cleaveland

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    A+ got me my first computer related job. I think it carries a bit more weight now that it's been redone, again. Regardless, it's still an entry level cert.....you probably don't need it, but I don't think it would hurt if you had it....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    if you can pass it now, whats the harm

no employer will even look at you unless you have relevant certs

A+ is entry level and it will get you an entry level job, if you want to dismiss the A+ and go for something with more weight you are still looking at an entry level job

until you have at least 6 months experiance in an IT job you will start at the bottom

also the A+ and N+ can be your elective if you went down the MCSA route, along with these you would only need a further 3 MS certs to be MCSA

hope that helps

Lee H
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    tony0101 wrote:
    What should I do?
    Yes. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I will prolly get it. I hate to waste $200 on it though. Maybe I'll skip A+ and get network+ and CCNA.
    TONY Cleaveland
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What do you ultimately want to do? Network+ level jobs usually involve a fair amount of client/desktop support aswell so having the A+ as a backup would help. But for pure network engineer positions the A+ will mean next to nothing alongside a CCNA. But, you're unlikely to just walk into a CCNA level job with no other experience. You can use cert.s to improve your career and speed advancement but only if they show you are capable of doing the job, if you show a pattern of disconnected studies in different areas with no work experience to back up the need to have done them an employer may just label you as a career student, or at best chancing your arm.
    If you don't have a year or 2's experience on your Resume I'd do the A+ then Net+, aim for an entry level support position with as much networking exposure as possible and then see about moving into the Cisco arena (The Net+ will help you with your initial CCNA studies anyway).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I ultimately want to get my CEH: Certified Ethical Hacker

I want to get into security and programming, but at the pennicle of my career, I want to hack and get paid for it......

I know the responsibilites of a CEH.

Peace
    TONY Cleaveland
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CEH is on my own study track for this year.
    The Cisco route is definitely a good way to go: CCNA - CCSP - CEH . Not that the CEH has any direct relationship but the previous 2 will help you get a job to give you experience, exposure and the money to finance your studies. And since you like Infosec anyway the CCSP is a superb course and more likely to provide a salaried position than a CEH.
    But all of that is useless if you can't get your foot in the door, so again if you aren't already in the business the A+/Net+ will help get you where you want to be. Stepping stones rather than building blocks.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?