This caught my eye in the Wiki page for MPLS;

"MPLS relies on IGP routing protocols to construct its label forwarding
table, and the scope of any IGP is usually restricted to a single
carrier
for stability and policy reasons. As there is still no standard for
carrier-carrier MPLS it is not possible to have the
same MPLS service (Layer2 or Layer3 VPN) covering more than one
operator."

Does this mean than an MPLS solution for a remote office in another country cannot integrate directly with our existing MPLS here in the uk? I assume that the remote ISP's QOS responsibility finishes when their packets hit the Internet, as they would have to,
from the above snippet.

Can anyone shed some light? icon_scratch.gif
I am the lizard King. I can do anything.

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MPLS uses the routes in the routing table to create a LSP. When you connect carriers together there will be summarization setup between them in the form of a static route or a
    dynamic routing protocol like bgp using summary addresses.
    The summary is viewed as a seperate ip destination address and hence creates a new start point for an LSP and a termination point for other LSPs that match the summary.
    So as you can see if you wanna connect 2 different carriers together you will need two seperate LSPs as the routing information isnt consistent.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello,

i dont think that LSP is the issue - as long as the 2 provider have their BGP inter-connected and have an established MPLS network - and willing to provide cross-provider MPLS-VPN its done.
    but that is the problem. I have seen problem arise from service-selling view. Many providers set different kind of formula to charge the traffic for example one charge by distance, one charge by time and so on- so they think better to stay alone.

cheers...
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.