Options

Repair Costs

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
Does anyone know what the going rates for computer reapir is? I am looking to start a part time computer reapir business and want to be fair with my prices. Any suggestions. Thanks
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sure thing, I've had my share of computer repair and this is what I'm used to seeing:

$65 for in-house labor(installing cards, troubleshooting modems, etc)
    I'd often charge two in-house hours for OS installs/with software(antivirus/spyware, office,etc).

$95 for on-site service, my boss use to take care of this work. He got all the fun jobs. ;_;

$100 for anti-virus/spyware. This is a flat fee that doesn't change regardless of the hours you put in. I generally just do everything I can to make sure the system is clean and running as best as it can.

$120 for advanced networking-again, fun stuff my boss took care of.

$150 for data-recovery. Most data recovery jobs were done with software and it generally took a good number of man-hours to extract the data off the failing drive. Tedious and time consuming, and I rarely charged more than the first hour unless it took over a week or two. When we are unable to recovery the data, we wouldn't charge the customer and recommend them to driversavers. Driversavers is a great company that can recover data using cleanrooms.

Personally, I felt more inclined to help the customer than try to suck out all their money. I never charged a customer for work that left the customer worse off than they were or where I could not accomplish anything(failed data recovery, customer changes his/her mind about getting the computer fixed while I'm working on it, etc).

If your nice to the customer and respect their budget, they will surely come back to you.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it depends on the area you live in. Where I live the going rate for Tech repair at small computer repair shops is about $65/hr. and $90/ for Networking. I would check with shops in your area and see how much they charge and compare it to that.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Man, this clown I use to work for... he would charge $85 an hour for PC repair and $99 for laptops. Printer were like $120 and monitor were like $199. The thing about the monitors was, we wouldn't even fix them. He has some guy come by and fix it and he paid him half the price of what the customer was charged, so he was walking away with pure profit. This guy knows nothing about networking, and couldn't put a computer together to save his life. He would BS customers into what was a high end gaming machine, when all they needed was something email and internet.

This guy was a real joke (still is). All this, while paying me $8 an hour. I would turn out some 8-10 machines a day, plus out of office networking and in home service was even more. This guy was making a killing and not paying his employee's crap. Needless to say, after asking for a raise for over 5 months, once I finally got a better job..... I didn't show up to work the next day icon_lol.gif

It got so bad, that one customer made over 500 bumper stickers that said "don't buy a computer from/repair *************" This guy said that since we charged him an arm and a leg and didn't fix his machine, he was going to give this to every person he ran into and have them put it on their cars....

I couldn't stop laughing.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^
    Wow
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really depends on your location. I charge out at $90/Hr and $120 for out work.
    Evaluation charge is $45.00 which is basically 1/2 hr and often covers the repair/fix if it is minor.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    in the Uk I usually charge about

£30 per hour for repair
    £60 for data recovery
    £60 set fee for O/S installation and software installation
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Stan27Stan27 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Orion, I know a place like that here. I was looking for a job, and I probably could've gotten it because the guy is a friend of one of my "employers," but after not calling me when I went into his office and told his secretary to leave a message, I decided he's not the kind of person I want to work for. How the hell do people like that get so much business?

I believe that the prices for computer repair are BS. Best Buy, the place most people here turn to, charges an extra $50 to plug each extra machine into a router...

I charge $45/hr for computer stuff, and if the solution was to download stuff from Windows Update, I'll charge less. I believe in charging what the work was worth.

The reason I charge so little compared to others is because I can tell customers "this is how much you would've been charged over there," and because I'm only 17, people would rather give money to somebody older, just because they think the person knows more.

The guy I mentioned earlier set up an expensive network at a school with XP on each computer(even though they can barely run it), and I ended up fixing everything. I was 14 years old at the time, and I could have done a much better job.