Options

cisco 4700

eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
Ok,

I found a playmate for my 2950, it's a 3524XL-EN with 2 Gigastack units included.
For 150 Euro(aprox 194 US$).
I don't think (hoop) I paid too much since they go for around 300 euro here and more.
Normally I’ll go and get it tomorrow

The problem is that with the routers I don't see the trees behind the forest...
I found a 4700 with 6 Ethernet Interfaces en 8 serial interfaces
System image file is "flash:c4500-is-mz.120-7.T.bin

Cisco 4700 (R4K) processor (revision C) with 32768K/4096K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 03386812
R4700 CPU at 133Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0, 512KB L2 Cache
G.703/E1 software, Version 1.0.
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
6 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
8 Serial network interface(s)
128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write) 4096K bytes of processor board Boot flash (Read/Write
He is asking 100 Euro (aprox 130 US$).
I'm thinking of putting in an offer of 75 euro (aprox 100 US$).
Is this too much, is it best to keep away from this model?
He has the same model as well but with 6 Ethernet interfaces and 16 BRI interfaces (with the option to get an extra plug in with serial interfaces).
I was thinking this would be good because of the many Ethernet/serial interfaces.

Any advice is very much appreciated and sorry for the long post.
Thanks.

Kind regards.
Eastp.
Multitasking:
Screwing up several things at once.

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Will you ever in your entire Cisco lab career (up to and beyond the CCIE) need SIX ethernet interfaces and SIXTEEN BRI interfaces? Hell, you'll probably only ever need three BRI interfaces on one router (and that's pushing it). If you're just studying for the CCNA, I'd pick up a few 2500 routers and maybe one or two 2600's. You can probably get the 2500 routers for at or around $50usd and the 2600's should be $150 or less. I've found that at least for the CCNA, it's more important to have a large volume of under powered equipment (because lets face it, your lab will never see anywhere near peak bandwidth consumption) than a couple of core switches and routers.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Ok found the answer to this my self after reading some posts in the CCIE/CCNA forum.
    I’m just still not sure if the memory and IOS installed will do for the moment or that I should start looking for more memory as well
    wildfire wrote:
    Load it with NP-4T (4 port serials) and you could make it a frame-relay switch
    I like the modular 4000/4500/4700 series cause they are blazing fast and the precursor to the 3600 series routers.
    Paul Boz wrote:
    Will you ever in your entire Cisco lab career (up to and beyond the CCIE) need SIX Ethernet interfaces and SIXTEEN BRI interfaces? Hell, you'll probably only ever need three BRI interfaces on one router (and that's pushing it).

I wouldn’t buy them for the 6 Ethernet ports or for the BRI interfaces.
    The first thing I would do is remove the BRI and install the additional 4 serial port plug in.
    I have seen several posts here that a router with up to 8 serial interfaces can get you to almost CCIE studying.
    Paul Boz wrote:
    If you're just studying for the CCNA, I'd pick up a few 2500 routers and maybe one or two 2600's. You can probably get the 2500 routers for at or around $50usd and the 2600's should be $150 or less.

If the CCNA go’s well then why stop after it. :D
    Paul Boz wrote:
    I've found that at least for the CCNA, it's more important to have a large volume of under powered equipment (because lets face it, your lab will never see anywhere near peak bandwidth consumption) than a couple of core switches and routers.

My intention is to build a large lab,
    So at the moment I only have a 2950C-24 and tomorrow a 3524XL-EN.
    If I buy the 2 4700's I still plan on getting some extra routers and possible 1 extra switch.

Thanks for the reply.

Kind regards.
    Eastp
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    eastp wrote:
    If the CCNA go’s well then why stop after it. :D

My intention is to build a large lab,
    So at the moment I only have a 2950C-24 and tomorrow a 3524XL-EN.
    If I buy the 2 4700's I still plan on getting some extra routers and possible 1 extra switch.

Thanks for the reply.

Kind regards.
    Eastp

In my personal opinion, I would get a 36xx before a 4xxx series. You can find a 3620 for a decent price. If you plan on anything for the CCVP, or even studying anything related to VoIP you won't find modules for VoIP stuff on the 4xxx series period. Commands, will be limited to the IOS ... With the 36xx series, you could chuck in FXS, FXO, E&M modules and a slew of other modules necessary for other certs. Just something to keep in mind ... http://tinyurl.com/wvc27 95.00 (3620). I bought mines for about 140 then added the modules I wanted. I swapped back and forth between other routers I already had including three 36xx I bought for parts that a few modules on them. Cost? 30 for a few non working routers... Modules on those non working modules ... WIC-1DSU, NM-1E2W, NM-COMPR, NM-2V, NM-1ATM-25 Worth about give or take 300. eBay seller had little clue
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    FYI...

http://tinyurl.com/yyqf36 Good site to bookmark for stuff. Every once in a while they will have a lot of routers, switches, etc. A while back I lucked out on a pallet of about 6 4xxx's, a few Catalysts, and sadly 2 LS1010's. It sold for like 400.00. I think I cried that day I don't remember icon_sad.gif hehe
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    The only problem is that I don’t life in the USA.
    Around here a 3620 costs about 300 Euro (a proximate 387 US$ a piece)
    If I would buy them and have them shipped from the US, it possible costs even more since it’s a long way from the USA/Canada to me. :)

And at the moment I’m not willing to spend 400$ a piece to start with.
    When I get higher up the cert track that’s a different story…
    But thanks for the reply…

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    eastp wrote:
    The only problem is that I don’t life in the USA.
    Around here a 3620 costs about 300 Euro (a proximate 387 US$ a piece)
    If I would buy them and have them shipped from the US, it possible costs even more since it’s a long way from the USA/Canada to me. :)

Come on now... You can still buy them on eBay and have them delivered UPS international for under 200 guaranteed. Think about it like this... You dish out this 100 for a 4000 which will only suffice for a slight while... Eventually you threw away whatever you spent in the future since it will be useless. Save the money you would spend on the 4xxx and wait patiently. Heck I would even go with a 2524... For anyone here from Florida.... http://tinyurl.com/y6tqf7 ... 20 2524's for $675 pick up only. icon_sad.gif I wish I was down there. [/url]
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eastp wrote:
    I like the modular 4000/4500/4700 series cause they are blazing fast and the precursor to the 3600 series routers.
    I was going to say "Darby likes them".... but you found that already. :D

It would make a good Frame Relay switch -- I had one in my rack at my Security Lab attempt in San Jose. Compare the price to a 2522/2523 and decide from there.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    It would make a good Frame Relay switch -- I had one in my rack at my Security Lab attempt in San Jose. Compare the price to a 2522/2523 and decide from there.

I have been looking at the 2522/2523, but can't find any around where I live..
    So I'm going for the 4700.
    What would be best, 1 or should I get them both?
    At the moment I only have: 1 2950, 1 3524XL-EN(with two GBIC)
    So I'll be looking in to buy more routers and possible an extra switch.

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The one for a Frame switch is great.... the 2nd one would just be "spare parts" for the first one. icon_lol.gif

You don't need the 16 BRI ports.... for that money look for 2 2500 series or a 2610 router (hopefully with a WIC-1T).

Now if you were picking up the first one and you were offered a much better deal on the 2nd one.....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    The one for a Frame switch is great.... the 2nd one would just be "spare parts" for the first one. icon_lol.gif

You don't need the 16 BRI ports.... for that money look for 2 2500 series or a 2610 router (hopefully with a WIC-1T).

Now if you were picking up the first one and you were offered a much better deal on the 2nd one.....

Ok,
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'll start with one then (and only take the second one when I get a better deal + the serial module to replace the BRI's)

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking: