CCNP Books and general questions

mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
I'm going to try and get my NET+ real fast in the next few weeks (hopefully it isn't too hard, a friend of mine told me to just take it and not even study since I passed my CCNA), so I need to get my CCNP books pretty soon.

Have the new CCNP books from CiscoPress been released yet? If not, when will they be?

Is it 100% necessary that I buy equipment for a home network to practice on? I passed the CCNA without any, but it was indeed challenging. If I *do* need equipment (I figure 3 routers and 3 switches), how much $$ am I looking at spending for an average CCNP set up?

Thanks in advance, I love this site!
_______LAB________
2x 2950
2x 3550
2x 2650XM
2x 3640
1x 2801

Comments

  • Johnny 5Johnny 5 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your friend was right; if you've passed CCNA then Network+ wouldn't make much sense.

    I recently recertified CCNP (642-801 and 642-811), using 831s as routers and 2900XLs for switches. Each device was well under $100 each off eBay.

    The biggest tip I can give you (and everyone agreed) is the routing exam is much, much more difficult than switching. You're asked some fairly elaborate questions, many of which you just don't see in the real world. I've been working with BGP and OSPF for over 4 years, and it still took 3 tries to pass! On switching, I haven't done anything beyond the basics and passed first time.

    No idea if that's still true of the new ones, though. I really hope they made them more balanced.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Johnny 5 wrote:
    Your friend was right; if you've passed CCNA then Network+ wouldn't make much sense.

    I recently recertified CCNP (642-801 and 642-811), using 831s as routers and 2900XLs for switches. Each device was well under $100 each off eBay.

    The biggest tip I can give you (and everyone agreed) is the routing exam is much, much more difficult than switching. You're asked some fairly elaborate questions, many of which you just don't see in the real world. I've been working with BGP and OSPF for over 4 years, and it still took 3 tries to pass! On switching, I haven't done anything beyond the basics and passed first time.

    No idea if that's still true of the new ones, though. I really hope they made them more balanced.

    Well which exam is harder is your opinion of course...I found your opinion to be the opposite of mine.

    I found BSCI to be fairly simple, maybe I got an 'easy' exam (if that exists :D).
    Now working full time!
  • SlowhandSlowhand MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2003/2012/2016, CCNA Routing & Switchi Bay Area, CaliforniaMod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mzinz wrote:
    I'm going to try and get my NET+ real fast in the next few weeks (hopefully it isn't too hard, a friend of mine told me to just take it and not even study since I passed my CCNA), so I need to get my CCNP books pretty soon.

    I think I agree with the others in saying that you probably won't need to take Network+ in order to be recognized as a networking professional, in the light of going for your CCNP. The Network+ is really more for showing that you have a basic understanding in vendor-neutral networking, but it really is dwarfed by the amount of knowledge packed into CCNA and CCNP. However, if you do choose to take it, don't assume that you can pass it without having studied at all. Pick up a "fast pass" type of book, like the Mike Meyer's or the ExamCram, just to get your head around some of the topics covered. The TechNotes on this site are helpful, too, and might just be enough to cover the "vendor-neutral" part that Cisco probably didn't take you through.

    There are some things, believe it or not, that are on the Network+ that aren't necessarily covered by Cisco, and I've known two different CCNA's that were blindsided by the Network+ because they underestimated the exam, and "thought they already knew everything". So, the advice is: if you're going to take the exam, make sure you actually take a look at what's covered, and make sure you do know everything you need. On the other hand, the exam isn't really "needed" for you, since CCNP is, by far, going to take you further (not to mention longer to obtain).

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    Well in the case, maybe I will just go strait for my CCNP.

    I want to get studying as soon as possible, but I don't want to buy books that will be outdated soon. When do the new CiscoPress books come out. What books could I get while I wait for those ones?
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • SlowhandSlowhand MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2003/2012/2016, CCNA Routing & Switchi Bay Area, CaliforniaMod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I hear these are pretty good for general knowledge, from CCNA all the way up to CCIE:

    Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)

    Routing TCP/IP, Volume II (CCIE Professional Development)

    They come pretty highly recommended for people who are at the CCNA-level, and even for people who are simply interested in gaining general knowledge in TCP/IP routing. (They're on my wishlist, that's for sure!)

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Slowhand wrote:
    I hear these are pretty good for general knowledge, from CCNA all the way up to CCIE:

    Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)

    Routing TCP/IP, Volume II (CCIE Professional Development)

    They come pretty highly recommended for people who are at the CCNA-level, and even for people who are simply interested in gaining general knowledge in TCP/IP routing. (They're on my wishlist, that's for sure!)

    Those are very well written books, along with Halabi for BGP.

    If you want to go for the BSCI exam (CCNP) then I would suggest reading the BSCI Self - Study that was just released. There is ALOT of extra information in the TCP/IP routing book thats not on the BSCI exam. I would read BSCI self-study first then go to the TCP/IP book.
    Now working full time!
Sign In or Register to comment.