Options

I got myself a Cisco router, but need some help...

Stan27Stan27 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Alright, sorry for asking a dumb question, but I've been looking for hours and can't find anything useful.

I was looking through my school's computer storage area(gated part of the art building, where hundreds of computers, monitors, and other computer equipment gets rained on), and I found a 2501 at the very bottom of the pile(I'm happy I didn't end up getting one on eBay). It looks in good condition, hopefully hasn't been thrown around much.

When I switch it on, the fan spins up, the OK light goes on, and the AUI light blinks every once in a while. I have no reason to believe that it doesn't work because we have used a lot of stuff from the pile with a 100% success rate(I'm not sure why they throw out perfectly good computers(2GHz, 512MB RAM) and then **** that they can't afford new ones, even though there is absolutely no need for new computers at our school).

The problem is that I have no idea how to access the thing.
I would like to use my laptop to configure the router, but it doesn't have a serial port.
Could I do it with just an ethernet cable, and if so, regular or crossover?

If I need to use a serial port, I can use another of my computers, but I don't want to buy one of those cables if I don't need to.

Also, what does the crossed out box with the X under the console and AUX ports mean?

I only have linux computers in my room, but if I need to use HyperTerminal I can go get an old windows computer. Am I correct in thinking that HyperTerminal is only for serial connections?

Any help at all is appreciated. Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Check out the "I want to setup my own home lab what should I buy and how do I set it up? " in the following topic:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7268
  • Options
    I read all of the links on that page a while ago, and just checked through them again, and none of my questions were answered. On the bright side, I learned a great deal from that post and the links, and I can't wait to try out the TechLabs.

Thank you very much for your quick reply and the great site, we all love it.
    Besides the initial setup, the console connection must also be used if you need to perform password recovery on a router.
    I guess that takes care of one of my questions(the one I forgot to ask in my post).

Thanks again.
  • Options
    and none of my questions were answered.
    Actually the only reason I replied with 'just' a link is that I know it leads to the answer for most of your questions. Which cable to use, how to connect to the router, when and even how to use HyperTerminal, and dozens of other questions you will run into. But if you can't find a particular answer, just let me know and I'm sure I or someone else can answer them. If you do expect more questions then I'd be happy to move this to the CCNA forum. Though, if you would posted it there someone would have likely posted that same link again because that faq and that TechLab is set up to answer specifically those kind of questions. Which aren't dumb questions but simply things many of us ran into at some point. Heck, I still sometimes plug a console cable in an Ethernet port or vice versa and wonder why it doesn't work. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    What I meant by "none of my questions were answered" was that the links didn't answer the questions in my post. I apologize if my response seemed rude.

I knew most of the things about the console cables and HyperTerminal, but I was just looking for a way around it all to try and get it working now...
    I ordered a console cable off of eBay that I found at the great price of $3, and it's close to where I live, so it should be here soon.

I didn't post in the CCNA forum because I didn't want to annoy the people pursuing certification with my questions, I figured that this was the place to put it. Please move it wherever you would like to if you see fit. :D

The questions that remain are:
    If I want to use telnet in the future, what type of cable do I use to connect to the router?

What does the crossed out box with the X under the console and AUX ports mean?
    My guess is that it is telling one that it's not a standard ethernet port and a client computer shouldn't be connected to it am I correct?

Thank you very much.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Stan27 wrote:
    If I want to use telnet in the future, what type of cable do I use to connect to the router?
    That AUI port is a 10Mb Ethernet port..... you'd want a Transceiver (AUI to RJ-45). Here's an
    old thread with a link to a picture and model numbers of the most common ones (you can find them on eBay).

If you're plugging into an existing network hub/switch, then a regular straight-thru network cable will work. If you are plugging directly into a PC, then a cross-over network cable would work.

Communication parameters for when you get that console cable are 9600 N-8-1 no flow control. If you get a login prompt or password request icon_wm.gif already mentioned password recovery.... search the forum here for password recovery hints/links or go straight to Cisco.com for those 2500 series password recovery instructions.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Oh, I see. I thought that the router could be telnetted into through the console port(i feel stupid now).
    I have two ethernet transceivers coming already, I plan to get another router sometime.

I have a CentreCOM hub, would I use the AUI ports on both to connect the router and hub, or is there another way of doing that?

Also, I understand that I would need an AUX cable and a modem to be able to remotely manage my router, correct?
    I plan on doing that, I didn't think anything like that was possible.

I can't use this router with an internet connection, right?

Thanks for the help, everyone.

EDIT: I actually found those password recovery instructions earlier today, it seems to be the only thing on Cisco's site that taught me anything. I haven't found that much information on their site, but I guess it's just because I don't know what I'm looking for yet.
  • Options
    Stan27 wrote:
    What I meant by "none of my questions were answered" was that the links didn't answer the questions in my post. I apologize if my response seemed rude.
    Not at all, so don't worry about that. I was merely suggesting to take another look because besides the 'X' below the ports, the links in that section point to articles or topics that do answer the other questions.
    I can't use this router with an internet connection, right?
    Besides practicing basic stuff like saving/loading configs, setting passwords, and some command out put, you can't do much with one 2501. A router is used to route traffic between networks, and unless you use the ethernet connection 'and' one or both serial ports (e.g. for a back-to-back connection to another router like in the Hardware TechLab) you only have one network connected to it (i.e. a PC or hub/switch with PCs) there's nothing to route traffic to/from. But you could connect the router to the internet if you want to manage it remotely (telnet), which is very similar to putting any device to the Internet (in this case through the ethernet (AUI) port). It would basically be an end-station, a server running telnet.
    I have two ethernet transceivers coming already, I plan to get another router sometime.
    Make sure you get a back-to-back cable for the serial interfaces to connect the two routers (instead of using the Ethernet connection) so you can build the common lab as in the Hardware lab, where the serial connection simulated a WAN connection, and the AUI ports connect to Ethernet LANs (which can be a single PC).
    I have a CentreCOM hub, would I use the AUI ports on both to connect the router and hub, or is there another way of doing that?
    The transceiver is basically just an adapter/converter for the AUI interface to turn it into an RJ-45 interface. In the end you use a UTP/STP cable with RJ45 connectors on both sides, but it doesn't matter if one side uses a transceiver and the other not. But both AUI ports with transceiver should work too if you have the proper cable.

I moved the topic to the CCNA forum.
    I haven't found that much information on their site, but I guess it's just because I don't know what I'm looking for yet.
    Cisco really has the best documentation, you should be able to find anything you need there. But I can imagine it can be hard to find that one piece of information at first. Becoming familar with the cisco site and online docs will certain benifit you in the future.
  • Options
    The transceiver is basically just an adapter/converter for the AUI interface to turn it into an RJ-45 interface. In the end you use a UTP/STP cable with RJ45 connectors on both sides, but it doesn't matter if one side uses a transceiver and the other not. But both AUI ports with transceiver should work too if you have the proper cable.
    What would the proper way be? Is there a cable just for connecting two AUI ports?

...the links in that section point to articles or topics that do answer the other questions.
    I guess I just missed what I needed... I do greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain all of this to me.

Is this what I need when I get another router?
    http://www.anthonypanda.com/product.php?prd_id=1&opt_id=2

Thank you.
  • Options
    What would the proper way be? Is there a cable just for connecting two AUI ports?
    The AUI ports are basically for old 10Base5 Ethernet ('thicknet')connections, which uses a different topology (bus), and connects nodes to a main coaxial cable, with MAUs, 'vampire taps' etc, and the cable is terminated. I've set up some 10base2 networks in the past, but never actually touched 10base5 and I couldn't say for certain if it would work with a 'crossover' or back-to-back kind of cable. Regardless, I think it's fair to say that labs nowadays should stick to the type of cabling used today in real world networks. Especially if if there are sufficient ports on the hub, I would simply connect the router to a 10baseT port instead. In other words, use an utp cable between the transceiver on the AUI port of the router and an RJ-45 port on the hub.
    Is this what I need when I get another router?
    http://www.anthonypanda.com/product.php?prd_id=1&opt_id=2
    Exactly. I ordered one like that a while ago, at that same site, but haven't received it yet. I ordered stuff before at anthonypanda.com and always worked out fine, and I'm sure this time that will happen to after I send them a reminder. As you can see in the hardware lab, it depicts two different (male and female) serial cables in the photos, but that's only because the male is often included with the router. If you don't have both, that true back-to-back cable you linked to is a perfect, and the cheapest solution. The 'shortness' of the cable is also appropriate for home labs, where the devices are close to each other.
    I do greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain all of this to me.
    You're welcome, that's what we are here for. I'll warn you though, 'Cisco' is addictive, before you know it, you'll be starting with your CCNA. ;)
  • Options
    I was going to order from anthonypanda.com, but I was too lazy to fill out all of my information, so I got it on eBay, saved a few bucks too.

Thank you for all the help, I think that answers all of my questions. :D
  • Options
    I started the password recovery, and it seemed to be working, but I would get this, then the router would restart
    %Software-forced reload

Preparing to **** core...
    Code checksum failed--memory corruption likely
    Queued messages:
    Exception: Software forced crash at 0x31153C2 (PC)
    Is this the reason the router was thrown out? This seems to pop up right when I'm getting to something...

After some testing, it seems that all I need to do is redo initial configuration to prevent the crashes, and most of the time I can get through it without a crash.

The initial configuration seems to set my passwords correctly, because when I am asked for them, mine work.

Why does the router ask about initial configuration every time it is started?
    What to the errors I am getting mean, that I need to buy new memory chips, or that the IOS is corrupted?

I also get this on bootup sometimes:
    F3: 3126120+67316+203832 at 0x3000060

Thank you to anyone that can help.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It seems a shame that all that computer equipment is going to waste

Basically I work for a charity called Jamies Computer Club

http://www.jamiescomputerclub.org.uk/

We collect old unused IT Equipment and I then reuse it to train homeless and vunerably-housed clients to help them develop IT Skills and provide them with oppurtunities.

Maybe if your School is hoarding that amount of good IT equipment perhaps they might be interested in us.

Anyways have a look at our website

This isn't a advertisment post either
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stan27 wrote:
    I started the password recovery, and it seemed to be working, but I would get this, then the router would restart
    %Software-forced reload

Why does the router ask about initial configuration every time it is started?

Did you remember to set the configuration register back to 0x2102 after you done the password recovery/reset copied the running config to startup config?

The link to the pw reset instructions for a 2500 is

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_password_recovery09186a0080094795.shtml#topic1

Malc
  • Options
    ally_uk: we are located in the United States, I don't think we'd be too much help here.
    i would like to see the computers donated/recycled/put to use, but the whole system here is really screwed up.

The school plans to pay some company to take them away, even though there are plenty of places the computers could go at no cost to anyone.

I am able to login with the passwords I created, but when i try to make changes, it crashes. This makes me think that I'm done with password recovery. I didn't get past configure memory without a crash.
    Configuration register = 0xFFFF2142 at last boot
    Is that what it should be back to? the FFFF surprised me.

Thank you for the help, any other ideas?
  • Options
    IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-I-L), Version 10.3(16), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Is it possible that the crashes happen because the router is trying to access memory that doesn't exist?
    I was told in another post that I should have more memory than what is listed here, could that be a problem(I noticed that there is very little memory in this system)?

Thank you all.

Edit: ally_uk, I asked about the computers again, and although most of the school administration would like to see something done with those computers, that is not possible because of district guidelines.
    The computers were bought with taxpayer money, and for that reason can not be sold or given away(the taxpayer money can, however, be left out in the rain to be destroyed)icon_rolleyes.gif.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Could be "software rot" -- that's an awfully old IOS version.

You might just want to open the case and do the old "clean the memory contacts with a pencil eraser" trick.

Also get rid of any dirt, leaves, dead insects, or standing water left in the case icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    That's funny.

I looked through Cisco's website, and I found out that these errors are caused by the IOS.
    The site tells one to run the output of show stack through the error interpreter on their website, but it's only available to registered users(I'm a registered guest, more on my story in the off-topic forum).

Here's the output of show stack in case anyone would like to check it for me icon_wink.gif:
    Minimum process stacks:
    Free/Size Name
    2868/4000 Init

Interrupt level stacks:
    Level Called Unused/Size Name
    3 0 4000/4000 Serial interface state change interrupt
    4 6 3856/4000 Network interfaces
    5 885 3924/4000 Console Uart

System was restarted by error - Software forced crash, PC 0x31153C2
    3000 Software (IGS-I-L), Version 10.3(16), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Compiled Thu 24-Oct-96 17:32 by richardd (current version)
    Image text-base: 0x0301B7D8, data-base: 0x00001000

Stack trace from system failure:
    FP: 0x65770, RA: 0x3053DAC
    FP: 0x6578C, RA: 0x302DA5C
    FP: 0x65798, RA: 0x302949A

I've ironed out most problems, except the crash and the F3 thing.
    I've setup the router(that means a hostname, password, and a sarcastic banner).

I can't do any more because the thing crashes every few seconds, but besides that, everything is fine.

Can a more up to date IOS be had for free, or is Cisco like Microsoft?

Thank you all for your help, without you, I'd still be trying to plug an ethernet cable into the console port. icon_rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Who the hell is richardd?

The inside of the case is in surprisingly well condition. We once had a monitor leak water when we pushed the power button, but after a week of drying out, it works.

The battery contacts look great, but I still went over with them with an eraser, just for you... :P
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stan27 wrote:
    Configuration register = 0xFFFF2142 at last boot
    Is that what it should be back to? the FFFF surprised me.

Thank you for the help, any other ideas?

Config register should be 0x2102 so try doing the following:

Change passwords and config on the router as you want it then,
    router>ena
    router#config t
    router(Config)#config-register 0x2102
    router#copy run start
    router# reload

The router should not ask you to enter into setup mode now. Until you copy the running-config to Startup the router thinks there is no config in the router's NVRAM. Changing the config register to the above tells the router to use the image stored in nvram (Startup-config file). Not sure about the FFFF, never seen that before.

Try what Mike said, removing/cleaning/replacing the memory if you can get your hands on any.

richardd will most likely be the person that installed the ios

Hope this helps
  • Options
    I already got all that figured out before my last post, but I do appreciate your help.

The crashes are the only problem now. The configuration register is back to normal, and settings are restored upon restart.

I guess I'll go memory shopping, but if anybody can tell me whether it is the memory or not, it would be a great help.

Also, can I update the IOS for free?

Thanks.