delete the VLAN database

bencherbencher Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
In a lab, I must:
Use one single command to select all interfaces. Make sure that all interfaces are in shutdown state
I cannot find it, is it possible to select all interfaces and then shut them all down?
Or do you suppose they mean just - show interfaces status and then check they are all down?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bencher wrote:
    Use one single command to select all interfaces
    That sounds like the interface range command.... if your switch IOS supports it.
    interface range FastEthernet 0/1 - 24

The spacing before and after the - is important.

Then any command you enter will affect all switchports in the range.

As for the subject line.... deleting the VLAN database.... you'd want to
    delete flash:vlan.dat

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • bencherbencher Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, I think it must be that. Saves a lot of time. I also tried 3(config)#interface range vlan 1, because all ports on this switch were in vlan1 and the switch had also gigabit ports. But here the shutdown command did not set the ports to disabled, allthough (config-if-range)#shutdown was excepted.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The interface range command for VLANs is probably more useful on a Layer 3 switch where you may have defined multiple SVI interfaces......

Doing the interface range VLAN 1 and issuing the shutdown command would probably just shut down the administrative VLAN for the switch.

Depending on your switch and IOS, you can define interface-ranges -- so you might create a "nickname" for the VLAN 1 ports to make it easier to change all the ports at once.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bencher wrote:
    As for the subject line.... deleting the VLAN database.... you'd want to
    delete flash:vlan.dat

How exactly does this command different from just:
    delete vlan.dat

I use that command regularly on 2900's & 2950's.
  • bencherbencher Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good point. I think you use delete flash:vlan.dat if you used write erase (which I did not do) to reset the switch configuration and only have to delete flash.