Options

VNC - Not working when running RDP?

5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys/gals,

I have a test lab setup at home (server 2003 running).
A friend of myne (from across the world) needs to VNC in so we can study togeather.
After I login locally on the server - He can VNC in externally no problems and the study commences icon_lol.gif
If I boot up the server, than login using RDP.. VNC wont work anymore icon_confused.gif
Do I need to be logged in locally to use VNC?
Hopefully this makes some sence, Thanks in advance.

-Chapt3r
Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
-J.R.Purser

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VNC listens (by default anyway) on port 5900 TCP, and RDP uses 3389, so I don't think that's a problem.

Is the VNC-Server service running under a user account or system account? Maybe it won't start when you RDP in. Are you using the same user account for your RDP and local (console) login?

When he connects via VNC while you are logged in to the console, does a message box prompt you about it and require you to click "okay/yes"? I haven't used VNC too much, so I'm just throwing some stuff out there to check. What error does he get?

What do you see when you type netstat -an at the command prompt after you RDP in?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Check the VNC program's Web site to make sure that you are using the latest release of your VNC software and if RDP (Terminal Services) causes it any problems. Also make sure that the VNC server is always running as a Windows service. If still no luck, try switching to a different VNC program (for example, if you are using UltraVNC, try using RealVNC instead).