Options

Connecting lab to internet

maxdybandmaxdyband Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings I am working on my CCNA hope this is the right group to post in...

I have been searching all over for a way to connect my lab to the internet and be able to log in remotely. My lab consist of….

Cisco 2511 Terminal Server
Cisco 2500 Series 2520 Router (used for Frame Relay Switch)
Cisco PIX 501
2 – 2600s
1 – 3600
2 – 2900s
1 – 1900

I use Comcast DSL Modem by Scientific Atlanta

I understand that I can use NAT but I don’t get the part about using the Serial interface as my Outside Internet IP Connection. How would I connect to the modem via the serial interface? Is there a way to connect with the devices I currently have?

Thank you in advanced for any advice or suggestions.

Regards

Ash

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    maxdyband wrote:
    I don’t get the part about using the Serial interface as my Outside Internet IP Connection. How would I connect to the modem via the serial interface? Is there a way to connect with the devices I currently have?
    Similiar question over in the CCNA Forum.

You don't use your serial port unless you're planning to pull in a T1 line in place of your Cable/DSL modem. Comcast has DSL? I thought they were just a cable provider?

Your best bet is to use the PIX 501 plugged into the ethernet port of your Modem -- since that's exactly what its job is. Your home network is then strung off of the PIX 501.

Watch the security.... but then you could VPN into your home network, or telnet/ssh into the pix/through the PIX to your terminal server.... etc.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!