Options

Top 10 Linux Commands

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
As i'm fairly new to Linux ( less than a year experience using Ubuntu,DSL,Debian,Finnix)

What would you say are the top 10 commands every use should at least know

Could you give me details of what the command is and a brief description of what it does

Many Thanks

Ally
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your not gonna believe this but i went to google and typed "Top 10 Linux Commands" and i found this link http://www.computerhope.com/unixtop1.htm , there were lots more pages too! Wow im amazed at this google thingy!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Very impressive :0

I'm proballyl going to go to the local library and get out a few books on UNIX for Numpties

lol

• Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I downloaded ubuntu iso last night for the first time to see what all the Linux hype was about and ran the LiveCD version. I quite like it based on first impressions.

It has a very "Maccy" style to it don't you think? But I believe Mac OSx is written on a Linux platform?

Anyway I'm planning on familiarising myself with the environment before I start trying to get into using the cmd line. You may know about this resource on the site but I'm planning on having a good rake through this over the next week or so:

Version 6.06 - https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/
    Version 6.10 - https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html

The one thing I noticed was that my WLAN driver doesn't install on it, but apparently you can do a bit of jiggery pokery on the command line to run your windows drivers in Linux through using NDIS wrapper and using the .sys and .inf files?

I have found a few links on the net but just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track as my WLAN card is not in the Wiki compatibility list. It's an (Atheros) LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11a/b/g card and I have the .sys and .inf files for it

Cheers

Malc
  • Options
    Mac OS 10 doesn't use LINUX

It uses Darwin which is a BSD environment ( UNIX)

Yeah I have to agree Ubuntu is what made me go the open source route i first made the switch from Windows a year ago

After the intial period of what the hell is this I have managed to settle into the everyday use of the system routine fairly well.

I find windows machines fairly boring in comparison now perhaps it's because I was bought up using windows from the 3.1 days

I hope to take my open source adventures further by investing in a Mac Mini fairly soon and probally dual booting it with OS 10 and Debian

• Options
    Think I may install Ubuntu on a partition tonight or tomorrow and have a dual boot XP system until I decide if I like it or not and familiarise myself with it properly.

Also, I want to make sure that I can get my wireless card working with it first, and maybe try SUSE 10.1 desktop too as my company are looking at switching to a Suse Linux desktop in a Novell environment in the next year or so.

I've not actually ran the proper setup yet.......... Do you know if on the x86 version of the iso gives you the option to do a desktop or a server install? Or are these seperate images?

There are 2 seperate links to download the server and the desktop but it appears to link to the same web page on the ubuntu website. icon_confused.gif

I would quite like to install the server at some point even just to have a look and familiarise myself with BIND (DNS) etc and the differences between it and Microshaft.....soft sorry.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    As i'm fairly new to Linux ( less than a year experience using Ubuntu,DSL,Debian,Finnix)

What would you say are the top 10 commands every use should at least know

Could you give me details of what the command is and a brief description of what it does

I have a few I use more than others, and it doesn't exactly match the list on the link from EdTheLad, they are:

ls - the linux version of cd, but with many more options.
    top - shows real time processor activity
    ps - short for Process Status, better than Windows task manager
    tcpdump - not really a "command" so much as a utility for sniffing/capturing packets
    man - shows the manual for commands
    more, less, tail - good for quickly displaying the contents of files.

Here is a good link for linux commands:
    icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/#R
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rm -rf .
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After doing a ps, you can do a kill processid, and if that doesn't work, a kill -9 processid forces that process to be killed.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    EdTheLad wrote:
    Wow im amazed at this google thingy!
    What's really amazing is because Google caches all sites on the entire Web, the entire Web could disappear--except for Google--and you would still be able to search 99% of all Web sites. Scary, it is.
  • Options
    motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
    Malcy......
    If you get your wireless card setup for 6.10 or 6.06 could you post on how you configured it? I installed both versions numerous times and couldn't get my Linksys WPC54G ver.3 card configured for either. I spent countless hours on the Ubuntu forums searching for a solution. I found tons of posts on the matter but still had difficulty in getting it to work. I thought I had it right, driver installed and hardware detected, but I couldn't get an IP from my router. Told me it was "sleeping", well, WAKE UP!! Anyway, if you succeed please post, thanks in advance.
  • Options
    motherwolf,

no probs I'll let you know what the outcome is.....My card isn't on the "supported" list but I've read that certain drivers are compatible even though they are not on the list.

What version of ubuntu are you on and what did you try?

Check these out if you haven't already:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide#driver
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiTroubleshooting

Will let you know how I get on

Malc
  • Options
    motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
    I tried both 6.10 and 6.06 to no avail. My chipset is Broadcom 4318 I believe, and I have the windows drivers (.inf file and .sys file) from the Linksys installation CD that came with the card. I tried using ndiswrapper with those drivers and like I said in my earlier post, I could get the driver and the harware detected, but when I used the 'sudo dhclient" command I couldn't pick up an IP from my router, to busy "sleeping" I guess. Good Luck
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    jdmurray wrote:
    EdTheLad wrote:
    What's really amazing is because Google caches all sites on the entire Web, the entire Web could disappear--except for Google--and you would still be able to search 99% of all Web sites. Scary, it is.

Not really, it stores the HTML page. None of the images, and forget about server sided pages (PHP, ASP, JSP, etc)
    :P
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
    blargoe wrote:
    rm -rf .

LOL don't forget the /
    Especially if you want an empty HDD...

icon_lol.gif
    Multitasking:
    Screwing up several things at once.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    eastp wrote:
    blargoe wrote:
    rm -rf .

LOL don't forget the /

icon_lol.gif

Yup. Just make sure you do it as root or it won't be as. . . effective.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
    Slowhand wrote:
    eastp wrote:
    blargoe wrote:
    rm -rf .

LOL don't forget the /

icon_lol.gif

Yup. Just make sure you do it as root or it won't be as. . . effective.

My mistake forgot to mention that...
    Multitasking:
    Screwing up several things at once.
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    For rm -rf / sophistaction/obfuscation...
    perl -e '$??s:print "STUNTIN LIKE MY DADDY";s:s;;$?::s;;=]=>%-{<-|}<&|`{;; y; -/:-@[-`{-};`-{/" -;;s;;$_;see'

I wouldn't run that though
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    nuglobe wrote:
    jdmurray wrote:
    EdTheLad wrote:

Not really, it stores the HTML page. None of the images, and forget about server sided pages (PHP, ASP, JSP, etc)
    :P
    Google allows you search inside of image, PHP, ASP, JSP, etc. files? I didn't know that. I thought Google only did text searches, but it makes sense that they'd go to other data types.