Options

Help me pass the beast

regginareggina Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I have attempted to pass this test on 2 occasions and both times I have failed with the score of 555. I have been studying for this test using Skillsoft CDs. I am going to give it another shot but I would like some tips on what I could do to help me pass. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    what kind of material are these cds?

You probably want to actually learn the material rather than just trying to pass.

This exam involves alot of applied theory, questions are often 7+ lines of information explaining a particular scenario. Unless if you truly understand the relationship between concepts, you're not going to pass because you dont know what the question is looking for.

Download the objectives for this exam, and pick out what you dont know, learn those topics from a good book as suggested here:
    http://www.techexams.net/microsoft/70-291.shtml
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that you have not passed the exams. It's good to hear that you are not giving up and are keeping at it. That shows determination and willingness to succeed and get into the industry.

This is the method I use to study. Of course it varies for everyone, but this is generally what I do.

The method I use to study:
    1. Get my feet wet with CBT Nuggets regardless if I know the topic or not.
    2. Begin reading my main book
    3. While reading, I will use sticky notes and use them as a bookmark when I want to review information that spans >1 page. If the information is a paragraph or so, I will summarize it into my own words and write it into a notebook.
    4. Every so often, even while I'm reading, I will go back to my notebook and read what is in there.
    5. I will always do the chapter questions. If I get something wrong, I make sure I understand why, and if needed, I will go back and review that information. I also try to understand why the wrong answers were incorrect.
    6. I then finish the book and then use either an e-book or use a hardcover to review information.
    7. I then review any CBT Nuggets when I want some extra clarification.
    8. I then use a practice exam package such as Transcenders which tests me on my readiness. I'll warn you though, do not use this unless you feel you are completely ready. After the 1st usage, you have many of the questions/answers in your head which won't properly test your readiness your second time around.

Note: I put port numbers on the first page of my notebook so I am always seeing them. This helps me remember port numbers which I have trouble remember. I am bad with port numbers

I also use Technet and websites such as this one, and any other website that is relevant to the material I am studying.

Also, don't forget to lab practice everything you can. This will help you commit information to your brain in a more efficient manner. You can use VMware Server and/or Virtual Server; both of which are free.

Good luck on your future exams!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    BF2MadBF2Mad Member Posts: 171
    I used

-CBT Nuggets which ruled loads of excellent info on DNS and RRAS
    -Exam Cram2 and the Syngress book.
    -Transcender Pratice tests to find my poor areas and to learn from my mistakes
    -Loads of hands on work, mostly with RRAS as I has little knowledge on this before the exam.

After each CBT Nugget I would read up on what I had just learned and get some hands on work

I agree with bighornsheep
    You probably want to actually learn the material rather than just trying to pass.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help guys, I have read the cd about 5 times and have learned all the material that is on the cd, but it seems to be missing information on certain topics and that is why I keep failing. I will try to do everything you guys told me and I will let you know how I go. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    sorry to be a pain but which versions of VMware Server and Virtual Server should I download and with CBT Nuggets do you have to pay to see it. Thanks
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    what are your weak areas normally you get a report card saying where you scroed well and where you scored poorly

if your weak with DNS.... then go back and concentrate on that.... look for labs I know the microsoft website does have some labs (not sure if there are DNS ones)

or do labs that came with your study material.

after you've fialed twice you need to determnie your weka and strong ponts then make your weak points stronger....just re-reading will not do that you need to understand as well.

Ms will ask your questioins that mgiht not necessarily be covered in your book but that you should already know from say the 270 exmas or 290 exams

something like this.

you have server1 which has ICS enabled and you have Server 2 that is confugred as your DHCP server with a 172.16.0.0/24 scope none of your users are able ot acces resources and are getitng a 192.168.0.0/24 address

how do you fix this? disalbe the ICS is msot cases because ICS is a 2nd DHCP server...I had this come pu in a pratice question the other day....and my 291 book didn't even talk about ICS but i was expected to know about ICS.

Ms will test you on things you should already know from pasing previous certs or overlappnig info.