Options

Strange remote DC authentication problem.

mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
In my office we have 3 DC's.

2 in house and 1 thats connected by VPN in a remote office.

The remote office is on another subnet.

The 3 DC's replicate AD information to eachother, but I want to prevent users on the local subnet here from authenticating to the DC thats located on the other side of the VPN.

When they do manage to authenticate to our VPN'd DC, the login process can take up to 10 min.

Does anyone have a suggestion or a fix I could look into?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Is the VPN connected DC in another site?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like theseman mentioned, create a seperate site in AD Sites and Services based on the subnets. That should keep clients authenticating with the nearest DC.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks, i'll take a look into that
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Heres a quick list of steps you need to perform to make a new site:

ADS&S
    1)Create new Site
    2)Drag & drop remote DC into new site
    3)Create the 2 subnets and link them to the appropriate sites
    4)Modify the default site-link and set the desired replication interval (inter-site)
    5)Choose Bridgehead servers (one for each site) that will handle the replication between sites
    6)Make sure the servers are in the correct subnet

*I think the shortest inter-site replication interval is 15 minutes, which could pose a problem if you want info to replicate after every change. However, you can force a replication.
    **I can't really remember the best order to perform the above steps, a quick read on the procedure will clear that up for you.

Edit: You also need to choose the protocol used for inter-site replication... (2 choices, IP being the best)