Options

Job Commute

IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
I live an hour outside of the city, because well I dont want to live in the city and its way too expensive to really even consider. My question is how much of a factor that I live an hour away from the city effect my chances of even being considered for a job there?
Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think a 1 hour commute to a large city is all that uncommon. If the job is more than flipping burgers or selling shoes I don't think it would be an issue. What large city are you near if you don't mind my asking?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    I didnt think an hour commute was a big deal, but I applied to a job and received an email today turning me down based on the fact that I'm fairly far away from the city.

I'm near Toronto, Ontario
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    That's wiggity whack...I commuted to the T dot on a daily basis and never had any problems. If the employer is that simple-minded than you don't want to work for them anyways.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There was something on the news where some guy spent 8 hours a day commuting to and from work. It would suck to have 16 hours a day. 4 hours to travel to work, 8 hours working (if no overtime), and 4 hours back home. He has a wife and kids but refuses to quit because he loves the scenery traveling to work.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think the average commute in atlanta is about and hour - hour and a half. I know when i lived there, it took me about 70 minutes to get to work. The job was worth it, because i wanted to live where i wanted to live. Why should they care as long as you show up on time and do a good job.
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    If the employer is that simple-minded than you don't want to work for them anyways.

Sums it up perfectly. However, if the transport infrastructure is not up to much where you live they could be taking that into consideration. They may have had previous staff living that far out that constantly let them down and you may be being tarred with the same brush.

All citys have a high majority of their workforce that commute in from the outside. Don't sweat it. Go for a different one.
    Kam.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    My commute is about 45min - 1 hour depending on time of day (morning it's 45 minutes, evening about an hour). Not really bad by my area's standards b/c there is no work where I life (estimated that nearly 1/3 of the entire county commutes to either NY or NJ for work. I commute to Allentown, but plan on moving a bit closer b/c the drive is a pain and the winters here are real bad.

I've had potential jobs get all weird when I told them i lived in PA and was applying for a job in NYC or north NJ. Although companies that have a lot of commuters understand the jobs just aren't in the Poconos (there are a bunch of buses that go from my area to NYC about every 20 minutes).
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I drive 50 minutes for work and to me it;s not big deal because people who live in the City drive 30-40 mins in traffic

I was looknig for work in the US and was told i could't be considered because I wasn't in the area
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    xntrix18 wrote:
    I live an hour outside of the city, because well I dont want to live in the city and its way too expensive to really even consider. My question is how much of a factor that I live an hour away from the city effect my chances of even being considered for a job there?

Shouldn't be a factor at all so long as you are on-time/early to your job everyday. You employer shouldn't care.

Besides.....1 hour...that' nothing! In fact, it's sad, but rather normal to have at least 1hour commutes. Several of my friends have longer commutes.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Depends on your position
  • Options
    misman1982misman1982 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think the average commute in atlanta is about and hour - hour and a half. I know when i lived there, it took me about 70 minutes to get to work. The job was worth it, because i wanted to live where i wanted to live. Why should they care as long as you show up on time and do a good job.

emmajoyce, how is life like in ATL??? I visited the Alpharetta area earlier this year and I loved it. I live in a small city (about 55,000) and I want to experience more. My job commute is about 30 min driving 10 miles. It's probably much worse. Convince me that I should move up there. :D
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm sad to say, I've seen this kind of thing before. Chances are, there was someone else with similar qualifications that didn't live quite as far away. Employers can be strange, sometimes, but just about everything they talk to you about during interviews, or things you put on your resume, can be a factor in the hiring process. I hope you have a better experience with your next prospective employer.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.