Options

motherboard question

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have the evga 680i motherboard and a thermaltake case. The power led is 3 pin on the case and 2 pin the motherboard. How can I fix it so it connects?

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    2pin and 3pin are both "standard", usually depends on the case manufacturer, and the motherboard.

Double check your motherboard to see if there's a 3pin connector for the power led, somtimes there's both 2 and 3 pin out.

If not, you can implement your own simple fix-solution.
    Take a cutter knife, and flip to the back of the "black plastic connector piece" on the LED wire from the case. You will notice something like:
    http://www.ecsjpn.co.jp/support/image/led_02.jpg

kinda follow what the picture is doing, pay close attention and you will notice the "plastic" is actually a little bit flexible and can be lifted.

Move the one you need as per the + and -, to the center, and you're set!

cheers~
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I've had to do this several times when there was a 3-pin connector in the case and the two wires were in the two outer positions. Just follow the picture above and move one of the wires to the center position, depending on which sides positive and negative need to be on.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

This is something that i have come across also

My fix was a bit more ruggid, i held the 3 pin plug with a pair of pliers and using a knife with a rough edge (steak knife would be ideal) i just cut through the middle pin.

Then you can individually connect the pins

Done in 15 seconds

Lee H
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Lee H wrote:
    My fix was a bit more ruggid, i held the 3 pin plug with a pair of pliers and using a knife with a rough edge (steak knife would be ideal) i just cut through the middle pin.

Done in 15 seconds

Lee H

that's not a very good idea, you could ruin the plastic holder exposing the metal plate connector inside, this could potentially short nearby pins causing problems in much much shorter time than 15 seconds.

dont take risky shortcuts if the safer way isnt necessarily longer.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

thanks for your concern bighornsheep but i assure you there were no wires showing from any if the plugs once i cut them, this i made sure of

Lee H
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

This is something that i have come across also

Done in 15 seconds

Lee H

Doesn't really take longer then 15 seconds to pop the pin out, but I suppose this is an option. Not certain about using the steak knife though??? Utility or e-Xacto blade maybe a little cleaner. I've heard about some interesting knife rules in the UK, so maybe your steak knifes are appropriate. (something with the length or Point/tip etc..) Anyway, couple of options to make it work it seems :)

Next time, maybe shop the chassis first :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    (steak knife would be ideal)
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
    -J.R.Purser