Options

USB Device not recognized

lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have two Dell D600 laptops that intermittently pop-up a message saying the USB Device is not recognized, or has malfunctioned, even when no devices are attached. I've reloaded the chipeset, wireless and Bluetooth drivers, but still get the message. In Device manager, it will show an unknown device under the USB controller. I tried disabling and uninstalling it, and it will go away, but after awhile the message comes back. One is running a corporate image (XP Pro, SP2) on a domain, and the other is not on the domain, using XP Pro SP2 as a standalone.

Any ideas?
Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Any known problems with the brand of USB drive you are using? Try searching Google for the brand of drive, some do have 'issues'. Next, check the Dell site. Tends to be usefull info posted in their forums for such issues.....or at least you'll find out if others suffer from the same thing :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    That's the problem, Plantwiz - there are no USB devices being used! I've still got over a year or so of warranty left on both, but I imagine they'll just get dumped, and replaced by D620's. I found a blog that one guy had two MOBO's and a Bluetooth module replaced, to no avail, and then the BIOS was reset, which solved his problem - but not mine!

It's those PCGremlins, I tell ya!
  • Options
    The D600...that's fairly old in 'notebook' years. The D620 launched 2006 and most of 2005 was the D610.

Since it's still under warranty, it's possibly worth starting a ticket with them just in case there is a warranty issue, though I doubt that is it.

What is the brand of USB drive you are using? There maybe a driver for it, hence the suggestion of googling on that USB drive. Most don't need drivers installed, but I've run into some that do (even on XP).

The reason for checking with Dell's forum was that maybe there is a BIOS flash that is recommended, but since you are under warrany still it may be worth running their 'scan' online to obtain all the current drivers and BIOS and read through them to see if anything resolves the problem.

Otherwise....maybe it's time for a MAC :P

Seriuosly, if you have the time, I'd suspect a software driver needing updating, either from the USB Drive, or for the USB controller; or just a BIOS update. These things don't take too long to update if that is all it is. If there is something physically failing...then let them replace it before your warranty expires (you may even end up with a cmopletely rebuilt notebook knowing how they handle 'troubleshooting' :) ).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Yeah, it's "old", but the Corp went to Dell, so they got all the bells & whistles, warranty wise. Our division went to the 620 but this is a transfer from another group. After digging through about 20 pages of the Dell forum, I might have found something...I'll try it on my "test" laptop Monday - something about the Smart Card controller driver being bad or something. Oh, well - since it's being phased out anyway, it's just something to play with.

Wish I could go back to Mac - my first 'puter was a Power Mac, with a whopping 28.8 external modem!! But, unfortunately, I'm stuck in PC Hell for now.

I know it's not a device issue - there are no devices attached when this pops up.
  • Options
    We use Dell's as well, but when MS wouldn't renew my Action Pack after 4 years of membership (saying I'd already renewed it icon_mad.gif and I couldn't have a 2nd....grrrrrr...it was the one and only membership I had). I bought a MacBook and LOVE IT!!!

I still had machines with valid XP licenses, plus what we use at work, but for my 'personal' computer....I've gone back to Apple.

The D620s are pretty nice and generally Dell's hold up overtime. Hope it works out for you until you can get them all switched over. If it's a warranty problem...take advantage of that plan....we've paid enough into it over the years icon_sad.gif Hopefully, it's just a driver!!
    Plantwiz
    _____