Options

Where to go for IT?

Linux_NutLinux_Nut Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I am new to these forums and I'm very interesting in exploring and getting the most out of the information available. I've got about 10 years of computing experience and I am 18 years old, living in Ontario Canada and I've got a question for someone who is perhaps experienced in the networking/security/Linux world.

I am a huge fan of Linux, networking, and security and I would like to someday secure a job that involves those three areas but wasn't quite sure where to go or what experience is the most important and/or relevant.

I'm fairly sure that I've got all of the knowledge required to attain a position in this "field", however I am posting in order to determine which certifications are the most crucial. I am working towards my CCNA and hope to acquire as many Cisco certifications that I possibly can, eventually working my way up to a CCIE. I figure that for Linux, a good LPI certification would be extremely beneficial to me but from there I am stuck as I was just only introduced to the "certification" aspect of computing when I discovered the availability of the CCNA.

I was just wondering if anyone had any comments/feedback/suggestions for me and some steps that I may want to take.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and I would love to hear back from you guys,

Cheers!

P.S. How do college/university degrees fit into the mix and compare against the certifications? Which courses would be an excellent companion to getting great, respected certifications?
"Your theory is crazy.....but is it crazy enough to be true?" - Niels Bohr

Comments

• Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    I'm 21 and was in your shoes a few years ago. If you can... go to college. That would be the best thing for getting your foot in the door. You aren't just going to be given the job you want without experience. The hardest part, for me at least, was getting the experience (when every where wants you to have experience).

Cheers.

Now its the weekend.. wheres my tv.
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    Linux_NutLinux_Nut Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Right on. Thanks a lot for relating, that really helps out a lot. And yes, I am planning on going to college but I would like to get my certifications, secure an "entry-level" job in something to do with IT, and then go to college so that by th time I'm out, I'll have relevant experience, certifications, and college "experience" as well.

Sounds good man, any other suggestions?

Cheers!
    "Your theory is crazy.....but is it crazy enough to be true?" - Niels Bohr