Flash dead?

bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
Hey guys - I was trying to upgrade the IOS on my 2950, everything was going fine until I got:

flashfs[1]: writing to flash handle 0x80BEB4E0, device 0, offset 0x640000, lengh 0x208: Read Verify Failed
flashfs[1]: sector ptr: {0x2F, 0x0}
flashfs[1]: filesystem marked down. Use "fsck" to recover.
%Error writing flash:/c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA8a.bin (I/O error)

Now when I try to do a show flash: I get:

HomeSwitch#show flash:

Directory of flash:/

%Error opening flash:/ (Invalid argument)

No space information available

I've never used the "fsck" command before - so I might be doing something wrong - but when I issue a:

HomeSwitch#fsck /test flash:
Fsck operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]
%Error fscking flash:: (Device or resource busy)

I have a good feeling the flash is hosed - but I didn't know if there is anything else I can try.

PS. The old IOS was deleted to make room for the new one - which did not complete the tftp transfer icon_sad.gif

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can also try to format the flash.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Other thing to try is reboot the switch, hold in the mode switch then release until your in Rom help, then try a Flash_init and see if the flash initialises.

here you go

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a quick question though - as of right now the switch is still running since I haven't turned it off yet, and I just want to make sure - if the either of your suggestions work - formatting the flash or re-initializing the flash - if there is not an IOS image on the flash what are the steps? I'm guessing ROMMON, but I'm not sure.

Secondly - if the flash is truly gone - then after I reboot the switch to try either method - I will have a dud of a switch till I replace the flash - correct?

Only reason I ask is that until Monday or later I will not have a replacement - and if I can just run off the code in memory till then - thats what I'll have to do.

EDIT

I just tried to format the flash since I figured that I can try to format without rebooting - but I got:

HomeSwitch#format flash:
    Format operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]
    Format operation will destroy all data in "flash:". Continue? [confirm]
    %Error formatting flash (Device or resource busy)

So unless anyone else has suggestions that leaves me with the flash re-initializing - but unfortunately I'll have to reboot to do that and that means I'll need to wait till at least Monday.

Thanks for the input so far guys.
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Also - I just want to make sure this isn't something that I did. I read on Cisco's site that flash IO error can be cause by loading the wrong type of IOS code.

I have a 24 port 2950SX, I checked the memory requirements and storage requirements, but I didn't think there was anything else to check.

I was trying to load c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.121-22.EA8a.tar - which is 12.1(22)EA8a which included EI AND SI IOS CRYPTO AND WEB BASED DEVICE MANAGER (from their site)

It was a .tar file and I used the archive command - I highly doubt this had anything to do with it since the flash reported and error before the tar file even completed the transfer - but I just wanted to make sure since this is the first .tar unpackaging I've done on a 2950.