Options

Could Some one Assist me In My practical assignment...

gameprogamepro Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello friends. Hope I posted this in the right place. I have been trying to setup five Dell desktop computers running windows xp as a small network for hands on practice. I am using a switch and have conected all computers to it as well as a DSL modem. I am able to surf the internet on each one.

How ever I try to setup a workgroup to be able to share resources. I setup each pc with the same workgroup. i run the windows XP network setup wizard, I'm asked to restart when when necessary and I do. All the computer says "welcome to the work group" yet I can see them in my nework places, workgroup. I just can't browse to the other computers or view them in my workgroup.

All of the computer have the same network card and they are all working.

Could someone tell me what my problem is or recommend me to somewhere that can assist.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is the DSL modem acting as a dhcp server and giving your clients IP's? I assume it is if you can get on the 'net with all of them. Can you ping between computers? Can you access the other machines using the UNC method \\computer\share ? You have all your machines on the same subnet with no routers in between them to drop broadcasts so my network places should work just fine after you check into a few things.

Long story short, drop out to a command prompt and see if you can ping another machine on the network (I'm not sure if you know the command, if not just type ping then a space and the computer name or ip address). If you get a reply from the machine, go to start and run, then type \\computername or \\ipaddress and see if the machine shows up. It should show printers, and shared resources.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you say you cant see any files or printers on the others but you can see their icon in my network. Have you shared anything on the other computers??? You have to share a folder or printer to be able to see it on the other computer. or try in run>> \\computername\C$
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    emmajoyce wrote:
    You have to share a folder or printer to be able to see it on the other computer. or try in run>> \\computername\C$

If you run \\computername from the run line you don't have to have anything shared out. The scheduled tasks and printers folder will be there even if nothing else is shared.
  • Options
    gameprogamepro Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, I think I figured out what my problem is. My firewall setting was what seemed to have been killing me. I figured that when I troubleshooted and setup another small network.

I had the same trouble that I did on the other one. But up on configuring or disabling the firewall I got through freely. I tested it several times and was able to replicate the problem and solve it all by the firewall settings.

I just hope that I enjoy the same success with the other one I was trying out.

I must say a big thanks to you davenport for your speedy reply and assistance. I learned to access a shared computer using the ping command in run from you and I enjoy using it as practice.

I also learned to use the ping command in more of an effective manner from you.

To that I say a big thanks.

Thanks alot emmajoyce for your assistance as well.