Options

IP question

mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
Can someone give me some information on the IP address 169.254.x.x. From what I understand, this IP address is given when the DHCP server cannot be found. I have a client who trying to connect to the city's free WiFi connection. From what he's telling me, I'm thinking he's too far away to get a decent signal. He's going to get close to the city and try it. But really I'm looking on more info on the 169.254.x.x IP address. Anyone have a link to some info?

In the meantime I'll be checking my favorsite site Google.
Working on Linux+

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is the APIP range, Automatic Privat IP, that a MS client assigns to itself when there is no DHCP server available. You are probably correct in assuming he is too far to get a signal.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    [Edit - What Sprkymrk said he just types faster icon_lol.gif ]
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Sie wrote:
    [Edit - What Sprkymrk said he just types faster icon_lol.gif ]

Now THAT'S a first, me typing faster than someone.... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Yup, if a Windows DHCP client doesn't receive a response from a DHCP server, Windows will eventually assign itself an Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) address in the 169.254/16 network. This happens all the time with 802.11 wireless clients.

Private network
    Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA)
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Do they have DHCP disabled for the Wireless Interface so people dont leech off the connection?

Try using a 192.x.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.x.x.x if you know the LAN IP Addressing.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Or they're just out of IP addresses
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    TechJunky wrote:
    Do they have DHCP disabled for the Wireless Interface so people dont leech off the connection?
    Wireless networks that use DHCP will (or should) also use a Layer 2 authentication service. A wireless client will need to pass Layer 2 authentication before it can be assigned a Layer 3 network address. This prevents "leeching."
  • Options
    I have a client who trying to connect to the city's free WiFi connection.

I would assume a city's free wi-fi would not have any layer 2 authentication. A subscription or fee-based wi-fi might, but that doesn't sound like the case here.
  • Options
    The client told me the first 2 hours of connectivity are free. You would think that there'd be some sort of authentication. It seems it would be too easy to get around the 2 hour limit.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    The client told me the first 2 hours of connectivity are free. You would think that there'd be some sort of authentication. It seems it would be too easy to get around the 2 hour limit.
    You are probably required to sign in to the network using a Web-based interface, which then records the MAC address of your wireless NIC. This is how they keep track of the two-hour limit. This type of authentication is performed at Layer 7. The public hotspot access at Starbucks operates the same way (except for the "free connectivity" part).
  • Options
    After your 2 hours are up, couldn't spoof your MAC address? Although, the average user probably isn't aware of a MAC address or how to change it.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    After your 2 hours are up, couldn't spoof your MAC address? Although, the average user probably isn't aware of a MAC address or how to change it.
    Yes, some wireless network drivers have a configuration menu with an option to enter the MAC address used by the adapter. It requires a reboot and a little book keeping to make sure that you don't re-use a previous MAC address. These days it's usually easier to just find a public hotspot that doesn't have a time limit.