Options

Meeting with a recruiter - quick help...

Brandon779978Brandon779978 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi... i have a "meeting to qualify" with a recruiter tomorrow for a helpdesk position... they sent me a brainbench exam online that i took last week and did well on... now we're on to this... he says "this is the last step before i meet with the client"...

just not really sure what to expect of this... is this an interview? should i be wearing a tie to meet with this guy tomorrow or is it more casual? anybody ever been through this?

meeting to qualify? more tests maybe?

Comments

• Options
    LERXSTLERXST Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't wear a suit but slacks and a tie is probably a good call. The recruiter is part of the interview process so you need to impress him as well. You don't want the recruiter to talk to the customer and say " I have a candidate that is well qualified but he dresses like a slob", do you?
  • Options
    hackdugoodhackdugood Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Uhhh, I disagree, a suit is the best bet. Wear a suit, long coat, clean cut and make sure you sell yourself right! It's all about salesmanship! good luck
  • Options
    helms20helms20 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hackdugood wrote:
    Uhhh, I disagree, a suit is the best bet. Wear a suit, long coat, clean cut and make sure you sell yourself right! It's all about salesmanship! good luck

I disagree, if the recruiter did not know anything about IT (which is more than likely not the case) then that would probably be true, but knowing that this person is a "professional recruiter" you can also impress with your knowledge along with some slacks and a tie. :)
    "Our arrows will blot out the sun."
    "Then we will fight in the shade."
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look at it this way - wearing a suit will never hurt your chances, but not wearing one might. If there's ever a doubt, just wear one. It's only for an hour.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I completely agree with Blargoe. I would wear a suit. It won't hurt your chances, it will only help. Plus, you want to give the view you are a professional.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wear a suit ! First impressions can be very powerful and have more of an impact than people realise, so it is very important that you make a positive first impression by ensuring your dress and grooming are consistent with the type of position for which you are applying. Keep jewellery to a minimum. Nose rings etc. may not endear you to an interviewer.

but also get yourself ready to answer the typical question they will ask you like these;

Example Interview Questions:

Describe a situation where you went beyond customer expectation.

Describe a situation where you had a complex problem and explain how you resolve it.

Describe a situation where you had communication difficulty and what was your response.

Describe a situation where you had a goal and a task to achieve but you had a lack of resources.

How do your team manager or colleagues describe you?

Describe a situation where you exceeded work performance.

Describe a situation where you had to use strong commitments.

How do you ensure that you are learning?

Why do you want to work here?

What do you think they role entails?

What do you think it would be like to work here?

What qualities would you bring to the role?

Why should they hire for this role, say, above somebody that has more experience?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

Do you have any concerns about the job?

Do you prefer to work in a team/on your own?

Make sure you understand exactly what these questions are asking. Write down your responses and feel comfortable with them.

Do not speak negatively about your current/previous employers or jobs. Doing so could raise awkward questions about your compatibility.
    Always act as if you are going to be offered the job you are discussing.
    Show enthusiasm and maintain good eye contact to emphasise your sincerity.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    /agree. Casual wear is for the weekends or when you are called in for an emergency on your day off or if you are doing out of hours work.

In support you can meet anyone from the cleaner to the chief exec on a daily basis. Once your in the job you can copy the dress code there.

Dress as you mean to go on.

And good luck
    Kam.
  • Options
    Brandon779978Brandon779978 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the advice everybody... i actually don't own a suit yet so my best shirt and tie it is...

i appreciate the questions also zebra...

thanks again everybody...