Options

Network +....check!

manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
I just wanted to give a hearty thanks to all of those who have answered my questions on this forum and for all of those who have posted questions because they have helped me as well. I passed the Network + the other day and i'm kinda undecided about which cert is next on my hit list. I'm torn between MCSA/MCSE or CCNA. I am interested in both and it's really a question of which one to do first.

Maybe a some opinions my help me to decide.

really both will advance my career equally, most jobs in my area "suggest" that you have one or the other or both.

in my current job, i'm sure that either one will mean the same in terms of promotion/raise.

although...i'm leaning more towards MCSA/MCSE because I just got out of classes back in September so that information is still firmly planted in my head.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    congrats!

MCSA/MCSE vs. CCNA, it's probably the million dollar question for many entry IT people. When I passed Network+ in August, I was in the same boat. I guess I found out that the answer is I will need both at the end, so which one should I get FIRST?

To make a long story short, MCSA is a milestone, and it helps with CCNA, it "probably" also takes longer than CCNA, so that will give you time to really think about where you want to go 1-3 years down...I *almost* said forget it.....

whichever one you decide, just try and make sure you're enjoying what you're doing....I think the toughest "topic" in MCSA/E/CCNA and whatever else you're working towards is whether this is what you want to do, or this is what you think you need to do.

good luck, and have fun!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    pixelpersonpixelperson Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is a tough question. icon_wink.gif

What is your work situation? What sort of business is it? Key question. Where do you want to be, career-wise, about 4 years from now? Management?

Ahem..Also (as I am a bit older than the average college student, long story so I won't bore you) I have always found that it might be a good idea to diplomatically approach someone, a senior person in your company, for some professional advice. If you are a college student, ask some of your instructors for their thoughts.

Most (not all, mind you) top-level managers are willing to provide some advise as to what might best serve you. Mentoring, as it is called, is often encouraged within large or even mid-sized companies.

Bottom line though is that you have to look at your needs (salary, etc.) to answer that question. But no matter what you choose these certifications will serve you well, and they definately won't hurt. :P
    Pixelperson
    Miami, FL
  • Options
    -prophet--prophet- Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good advice from the others.

My thoughts on the CCNA:

Net+ is a fantastic base for CCNA, if you did well and enjoyed your study there, you will love ccna. The ccna is one big exam (two smaller if you are a little nervous), a MCSA is 4.

I don't know if you are financing your own study, but the cost of a CCNA lab is very cheap these days and even free if you use the Dynamips simulator (for your routing at least). With a couple of good books like Lammle, Odom and of course this site, you can selfstudy to get the certification.

Cheers,
    Prophet