Options

Helpdesk/Desktop Remote Support

Brandon779978Brandon779978 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello... i was just looking for some insight as to how your first or current helpdesk/desktop support role was like...

i'd have to say i would feel more comfortable in a hands-on environment but i'm getting the feeling that when i do land my job in a helpdesk/desktop support role it will be remote support...

how did you get worked into the environment?

does your company have some sort of database or something to access to help resolve common issues?.. are there prompts or simulations you go through?..

what kind of software is used to actually make the remote connection to clients?

i guess i just get nervous because i have limited experience in a hands-on environment troubleshooting things but if i get on the phone with someone in Florida who can't get their email through Lotus notes or something then i'm going to be stumped... lol...

Comments

• Options
    hackdugoodhackdugood Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well the company I got hired for was very nice... There are two helpdesk Technician and the first few days, nobody expected me to know everything because the company has a lot of propietary programs and schematics that I don't know. The first month for me I would say was the learning month. The second, they start staring at you. The office is great except that my co-worker is a jerk and talks me down and makes jokes at me because he's 31 and I 19... Jealousy.... lol.

So don't sweat it, you'll be fine, just make sure you know the lingo of what they expect you to know!
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    I agree...the first month is a learning period. After being there a little while, you get to see exactly what you're working with. If there's something you really don't understand, I'm sure you can ask or research it. I didn't think I was ready when I got my helpdesk job, but it turned out completely different from what I thought.

Expect the worst but hope for the best.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    Brandon779978Brandon779978 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought this topic would get a few more hits by now...

I guess i have the right to be nervous being that it would be my first step towards my professional career... (no, i don't have anything lined out yet, but hopefully soon)...

i'm just curious about other peoples journeys i guess, to try to get a heads up on certain things...

if i could somehow give an example of my knowledge base: been in school for 2 years, going to get my Associates in about 7 weeks, could probably pass the 70-270 and the NET+ (currently only have A+) with the cash and a good weekend of studying... i've troubleshooted logons, boot issues, connectivity, etc... installed switches, patch panels, etc... configured a RIS server, some other things...

any suggestions as to what i should have down cold before i get my foot in the door?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    any suggestions as to what i should have down cold before i get my foot in the door?

Nope. You get hired based on the employers understanding of your current skills. Once you've been there a month or two you'll get the hang of things. You could have 10 years experience and still get nervous starting a new job, and still have to go through that 4-8 week "break-in" period where you feel a little lost. Don't sweat it, you'll do fine. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    I remember my first helpdesk job experience. Of course I was not 100% ready for it, I mean I know how to troubleshoot a home computer but all company workstations are on a domain, use Lotus Notes (don't ask me why I hate it), and other proprietary business applications like Peoplesoft, etc. that are web based.

Really though, from the looks of the thread, it seems they will train you for a short time, and you should get a hang of it quick. Its nothing too hard to learn and its more like a step by step guide on how to get things working. Your buddies at work should help you out, and they better, cause once they find out you're taking the calls then they have an easier day.

Don't get nervous. They are looking for people like you, so they can pay you an entry level salary.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was very stressed when I started my new desktop support job a few mouths ago. I am pretty confident about my knowledge, but like mentioned above, troubleshooting PC’s on a large company domain is brings new challenges, plus tons of programs that I have never even heard of before but am supposed to know how to fix, it can be intimidating. But after just three mouths here I feel totally confident with 90% of the problems I take on, I still surprise myself sometimes when I go into an issue having no idea how to fix it but am able to figure it out fairly quickly, its pretty rewarding. I have learned a ton so far about stuff I had no clue how to do before, like adding/configuring network printers on a printer server for example. Try not to stress out, you will be nervous but you are not expected to know everything, every company has different in/outs you need to learn, so even if you had been working 5 years at a place you would still need to learn new things when going to a different company.
  • Options
    drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    hello... i was just looking for some insight as to how your first or current helpdesk/desktop support role was like...

My first true Help Desk role was at Fortune 500 engineering firm. I was responsible for everything from Help Desk issues (Level 1), but quickly was performing Level 2 ticket resolution. It was great, helping people actually fix a problem is rewarding for both involved. For the end user, a helpful, cheerful, respectful, and capable techncian on the other side of the phone can make their day. On the flip side, the satisfaction you feel from fixing a problem can really charge you up.
    i'd have to say i would feel more comfortable in a hands-on environment but i'm getting the feeling that when i do land my job in a helpdesk/desktop support role it will be remote support...

how did you get worked into the environment?

I recall they pretty much started to feed me calls - more of a "sink or swim" idea. Just be professional, cheerful, and patient when dealing with the end user. Use leading questions like "what were you doing before the problem occured?", "does it happen in any other Office applications?", etc. Remember, the end user thinks you are the expert. If you don't know the answer, don't be afraid to tell that you'll take their information and call them back...then find out and call them back.
    does your company have some sort of database or something to access to help resolve common issues?.. are there prompts or simulations you go through?..

I've worked on and managed Help Desks as I've worked my way through the ranks of IT. Yes, every place I've ever worked at has had some form of tracking. These databases are critically important for so many reasons - tracking the most common problems, proving the "usefulness" of a Help Desk, and other metrics.
    what kind of software is used to actually make the remote connection to clients?

Windows RDP, PCAnywhere, VNC - there are a bunch of them...Google those terms for more information.
    i guess i just get nervous because i have limited experience in a hands-on environment troubleshooting things but if i get on the phone with someone in Florida who can't get their email through Lotus notes or something then i'm going to be stumped... lol...

Don't sweat it - like I mentioned earlier...people will respect you if you tell them you don't know and will look into it or escalate the problem up to a technician with more experience. Over time, you too, will gain that experience and be able to answer the most mundane questions.

Oh, and get some certs - it will help. :)
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    ... It was great, helping people actually fix a problem is rewarding for both involved. For the end user, a helpful, cheerful, respectful, and capable techncian on the other side of the phone can make their day. On the flip side, the satisfaction you feel from fixing a problem can really charge you up.

That's the support buzz in a nutshell. Support folks really enjoy helping people around the technology. Some may get a little jaded as the years go by but helping and the buzz you get from it is the core focus of the job. As you progress higher in support roles, the buzz comes from establishing an enhanced and solid infrastructure than what you inherrited and the benefits it has for the whole organisation.

Always remember, if you don't know something, be honest. Don't just sit there 'ermming' and 'ahhing'. Tell them it's something youve not come across before and how you are going to get someone higher up and more technically knowledgable involved in fixing it. The users generally like that as they strangely kind of boast that their problem is not a run of the mill problem and actually needed someone high up to fix it.
    Kam.
  • Options
    chilskaterchilskater Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well more or less the same with me here..working as IT Support in International Australia University(overseas campus)..i have general hardware and software knowldge that really helps 30%..1-2months is learning months,it's hard because my coleague is a totall jerk..he went to the same interview as i do but i nailed it..he lacked of paper cert..from day 1, he was a very negative person...

but i enjoyed experimenting with extra PCs,the remote desktop, net meeting,phone calls..everyday is learning new stuffs,software and hardware,learn to talk highly educated ppl(PHD ppl)....

Now i am ready to make changes in my life by taking MCP 70-270, then 70-291 and 70-292 Microsoft Certified Desktop Support..hope this forum will help
  • Options
    stewart123stewart123 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I walked into my first help desk job 7 months ago. I did not know anything about being on a domain or even Remote Desktop Support. I still do not have very much knowledge in quite a bit of aspects of this company that I work for. I work with 2 other individuals on the help desk. One has more knowledge than I do and the other one not so much. What makes it interesting though is the individual with more knowledge than both of us is the fact that he knows his stuff but cannot solve some of the more specific things. For example; I never had used Outlook/Exchange in my whole life. I am totally determine to get on and read what ever basics I could find about Outlook/Exchange 5.5 and now he asks me questions about it.

The trick is learn a little at a time and try to work with the people in your department. Find a little niche that will make others come and ask you question. It helped build my confidence. Now I am starting to look over the basics of A+. A+ will be difficult for me, but I know now that I am starting to get so much more hands on experience that in a few months I will have the exp and the book knowledge to take it on.

Either way good luck!