Options

Extending the schema because of Exchange?

CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
While using my Testout. They say that When installing Exchange (my guess would be 2003) the Schema Master would have to be extended.

This is true because exchange would be adding new objects or because it would be changing AD? Does Exchange have its own AD? I could have sworn it just added tabs in the old AD.

I guess its kind of a question. Just a little bit confused.
Thanks in advance.

Cess
A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Does Exchange have its own AD?
    You bring up good memories with that question. 'Before' there was Windows 2000, hence running on NT4 (which had the SAM, no ADS) Exchange (5.5 in my case) had it's own Directory services. It also had 'Sites' similar to those in ADS today. Unlike what many Netware Novell fans like to claim, ADS is just another LDAP like directory based on Exchange's directory. Before I downloaded VB express I always said Exchange is the best product MS ever created - it's the directory (and everything around it) what made me such an Exchange fan. I didn't update myself to Exchange 2000 when they moved it (that's how I perceived it back then) to Windows 2000.

Anyway:
    Cessation wrote:
    I could have sworn it just added tabs in the old AD
    So the 'old' is actually the 'new'. In other words, while Exchange used to have it's own directory, it now extends the schema of the ADS. Which essentially simply allows more tables/fields in the database.