Options

I have a job interview later today, but I found a better opp

Well here's the story, I have a job interview today for a helpdesk position thats about a 15 minute drive from home, but this morning I received a call from a recruiter for a position in 1st Level support in RXN and IPNet. Its basically some helpdesk for network connectivity issues and its way more into the direction that I'm going for. Anyone heard of BTRadianz?

However this job I want a lot more, but how could I at least postpone the interview for today? I mean there are no guarantees that I will get the network level support job, so in case that I don't pass the interview for some unfortunate reason, I want to fall back on the helpdesk job. I don't want to call my recruiter and lie and say that I have a death in the family and I'll be back later or something.

My real question is, how do I sound formal about postponing the interview, yet still have it available to me later? Is this even possible in the "real world"?
CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
[IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Personally I would just tell him the truth but thats just me. Lying has a way of coming back to bite you in the a$$

Just reschedule the one thats easiest to. Though personally since you had already agreed to attend the other thats what I would stick with.

This is just my thoughts, you have to make your own decision.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    Yeah you are right it really is up to me. What I'm going to do is just go through the interview today. Its only an interview and I'll probably brush up on areas that I may have fallen a bit rusty on. If they do decide to hire me, I'll just tell them that I have two more interviews pending. Honestly I shouldn't feel bad about saying that, besides, its helpdesk of all IT jobs out there icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey there,
    I would feel lucky if i could just get one interview for a real job. nobodys hiring in my area. I would do like you said. I would go through with the original interview. You would hate to decline it, and then not get the other one. Its not official until you're sitting at your desk. Ive had interviews where the person was expecting me to say yes or no. I just would tell them that i had another interview tomorrow and could he/she give me a day to think about it. If they are a decent boss then it should be no problem. like the other guy said, lying might come back on you, and besides I hate having to remember what lies i said. good luck either way
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    -EOS--EOS- Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely go to todays interview, don't even mention the other opp you have. Chances are they won't hire you on the spot today, and if they do, just ask if you can have overnight to think about it, then figure out how you want to handle it from there. You don't want to give the company that you're interviewing with today the impression that they are your second choice. Just my opinion!

Think of it this way, you have 2 opportunities knocking, not a bad situation to be in!!
  • Options
    Well about the job opportunities, I live in NJ, which happens to be the most densely populated state in the country. Actually I live 30 mins from Jersey City, which tells you that I am quite possibly in the most densely populated area of NJ itself. I totally revised my resume, and put it on ONE job site, yahoo hotjobs, and I got calls the next day, the day after that, then a third call a few days later. The third call is the one I'm going to be interviewed for now. Most calls were for desktop services/helpdesk. So these jobs are a dime a dozen. However, a call came in this morning, about "network support" you know, something that sounds quite tasty. So really, worst case scenario I blow off today's interview, I'm expecting more calls to be coming in considering there's hundreds of recruiting agencies out there. I really have nothing to lose now, now that I have everyone's perspective of other areas of employment. Thanks for the input guys. I'll post back to let you know how the interview goes.
  • Options
    Oh I just got a call back from the other guys at the job I really want. They want a phone interview with me, and I've already spoken with two guys on the phone already. I've been through this process but they sound really serious, not fscking around at all. So they told me "you should have some questions, you will be working on a 'global extranet', it uses all Cisco equipment, etc etc".

The phone interview will be after today's interview for the helpdesk job. Soo... I'll go to that in person interview first just to get in the real mindset :p
  • Options
    Things are falling into place by the sounds of it.

Keep us posted and Good Luck!
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Don't burn bridges. It's all about options. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    Well I'm back from the personal interview from the helpdesk job position, I totally turned it down, a few reasons. First the environment was really nasty, kinda ghetto from where I used to work, actually this place is in a location full of office buildings being leased by many different companies and the entire site is run down. Second they are just doing Win2k to XP upgrades starting in a couple months, and those days really are behind me. And last I asked if there was any opportunity to move on up into the network infrastructure team, but they said no. So I had to just tell them that I was looking into that type of field and this wasn't going to cut it.

Its about 5 mins away from the phone interview from the other networking job, and I got a list of questions to ask... I'll be back :)
  • Options
    Phewwww I was almost sweating during the interview. First the HR guy called up, then he brought in another man from the actual IT team, and he started to QUIZ ME on network related questions, like the first one was OSI model, I had to describe each layer, then rip timing, then NAT, and then a few commands to configure nat inside and outside interfaces. Needless to say I almost stuttered really bad but kept it in line. It went for about 30 mins, I asked my questions but really they were nothing compared to the questions they asked me. Also they went on to personal one on one people skills questions and the like, how well I treat customers, etc. So that was phase 1 of interviews, phase 2 (if they call me back icon_redface.gif ) they bring me to the facility for two hours.
  • Options
    I'm scurred very scurred right now icon_redface.gificon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Any ideas on when you'll know if you made it to phase II ?
  • Options
    After they speak with my IT Recruiter they will make the decision of who gets to make it to Phase II.
  • Options
    MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□