Options

Quality Assurance position

AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
A friend of mine just got in contact with me and told me that there is a vacant position for a Quality Assurance (tittle goes here) in his company which sells and makes Financial Applications.

I just wanted to get some feedback from people working in that area about: requirements, common task, average salary, possible growth?

Thanks in advance
XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
VCP4 » 0%
LPIC-1 » 0%

Comments

• Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Common Tasks: executing manual test cases over and over and over again. OR executing automated scripts over and over and over again.

Growth: There are always interesting side projects floating around. So it's easy to get involved with other teams.

All I can say is that you better like repetition if you enter a QA position.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    pahujasaurabhpahujasaurabh Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Working with design/development for Engineering requirements
    Supporting tac for products you test.
    Saurabh Pahuja
    CCNA CCDP
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    QA is an analyst with technical background. As sir_creamy_ says, there's alot of repetition because you're always validating and verifying processes and procedures.

If you like to get into development, QA is a good place to start.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    QA is usually where big companies start people who are interested in programming. There is no better way to become fluent with using the products than testing them over and over again (and over and over and over...). If the company uses a wide variety of industry-standard testing methods, you will learn a lot about proper "blackbox" testing software. If the company has poorly designed testing procedures ("What's a test plan again?") which are ad hoc (i.e., they make it up as they go along), you will be very frustrated likely not be able to use your QA skills at another job (been there myself). You will also learn about the seemingly endless piles of documentation that must created before, during, and after testing is performed--especially with government and DoD contracts.

Ask what the turnover rate is in the QA department. Find out if the turnover is due to people being promoted to other departments, or quitting to find other (better) jobs. You want QA to be your ticket to a better position and not stuck there the rest of your career (unless you are shooting to be a QA manager). Learn everything you can in QA and then move on to your next career challenge.
  • Options
    oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We have a decent sized QA lab at our facility with 6 bench techs and a manager. Additionally, builds and compiles are constantly running in a server farm. They have their share of high-tech toys and sometimes, a few support headaches for me. :)

However, as jdmurray says, lots of repetition. Although I'm not at liberty to discuss software and methodology, I can say that we experience little turnover in that department. Some are just starting out in IT while others have settled into their own niche.