what book to buy at comptia online store for 2006 exam

otakun85otakun85 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
what is the best book to get for the a+ certification role of pc tech

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Sybex's latest book is pretty good.
    Scott Mueller's PC Repair books are good
    experience (actually should be first, but you were looking for books).
    Meyers A-I-O still good.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    WindowsLMWindowsLM Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    after hibernating since november i decided to take the A+ first before starting on the microsoft exams.

the book i bought after reading various reviews for the current books is this one

it covers all 4 exams, the only problem is the objectives are spread out through the entire book.

ex. objective 1.1 might be in chapter 1,2,9,17,22

pros:

huge book, excellant pictures, and a cd with video tutorials

cons:

hard to read straight through

this is based off the reviews i read. i chose this over the meyers book because a lot of people that used the meyers book said that they needed extra materials, or the ones that used solely the meyers book passed but had very low scores.

again this is only based off reviews, i have just begun studing for the new tests and hope to take them within a few weeks. I will most likey take test 601,602 and 603. If and hopefully when i pass the tests i'll write a mini review of the book compared to what i was tested over.
  • Options
    CaptainMorganCaptainMorgan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WindowsLM wrote:
    the book i bought after reading various reviews for the current books is this one

it covers all 4 exams, the only problem is the objectives are spread out through the entire book.

ex. objective 1.1 might be in chapter 1,2,9,17,22

pros:
    huge book, excellant pictures, and a cd with video tutorials

cons:
    hard to read straight through

I have this one too... here are my pros and cons for the book
    pros:
    1) very in-depth,
    2) visual aids help learning,
    3) accurate and taught by a Ph.D.

cons:
    1) too big of a book - I am always on the go and the mere size of this book makes it impossible to take it with me
    2) no practice exams after reading through and yes very hard to read through, I've finished about half ways through and I've owned it since August.

In summary, I use this book as a standstill, in place and whenever I am in the neighborhood I read a few pages. Meyer's book is more concise and his Passport series what I truly counted on to pass my Essentials this past week.

-Capt
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I have this one too... here are my pros and cons for the book
    pros:
    3) accurate and taught by a Ph.D.

Careful, that's not always a "Pro". I"m not saying so in this case, but there are paper PhD's floating around claiming to be experts when all they did was pay a ton of money for a piece of paper to 'say' they know a lot. I personally don't use that as a measure of someone's competency. FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    CaptainMorganCaptainMorgan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Careful, that's not always a "Pro". I"m not saying so in this case, but there are paper PhD's floating around claiming to be experts when all they did was pay a ton of money for a piece of paper to 'say' they know a lot. I personally don't use that as a measure of someone's competency. FWIW

Obviously... but I find it hard to believe a publisher like this one would put the book into production knowing the person was not a Ph.D. even though they said they were. The content of the book is alright enough to believe it as such. FWIW, last I recall, Mike Meyer's doesn't have an advanced degree and his product is superbly better than this book.

-Capt
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Mike Meyers books have always been good.
    That's who I recomend.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.