Options

Career Path for College Grad

kalin35kalin35 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am graduating college from the University of Nebraska with a degree in Computer Science in May. I was wondering if I could insight on some different career paths a. I know the IT industry is huge and I am trying to figure out which direction I want to go. The career paths I am currently debating are:

Network Engineer: As a gain experience I would start specializing in IT Security if it allows me to make more money.

Unix Administration: I would probably learn security also if it would allow me to make more

Software Engineer: I have done a lot of programming in school but nothing on a large scale. I used to hate it but as I do it more often for classes I start to like it more and more. I just don't know if I could sit at a computer day after day and program but I was know software engineering you do more designing then programming.

I was staying away from windows jobs as I was told there is more money with UNIX experience (I wouldn’t mind windows side though).

I would be very interested to here your opinion's in the different areas if you have any. Also, I am very curious to which paths have greater salary potential. Also, if you have any other field which you think might be interesting, let me know.

Also, I am more then likely going to get my Masters in either MIS or Computer Science after I get a job (would do it has I work).

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    -EOS--EOS- Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can't help but point out that your main goal is making as much money as possible, not which direction you want to go.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but being interested in and liking what you do everyday are more important in my opinion. Better money will come as you progress down your career path and employers see that you are passionate about what you do and that it motivates you. Just my 2 cents!
  • Options
    Yes, I am a little money driven but those jobs a posted I have all equal interest. I know i wont do jobs that I dont like just because of pay (you couldn't pay me anything to be an assembly programmer). The salary qestions are just there b/c honestly i could not tell you what anywhere close to a ballpark figure of what each posiiton might make and which might have a higher potiental in the long run. Also, I will be doings trainning in the next few months before I graduate and that will also help see if i like the IT area or not.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I know alot more people that got out of school and found a good job programming than i do network engineer/admin. You can have a degree and get a programming job. You often need a degree and a few years tech/helpdesk/etc to get an admin job. Tack on another 5 years being an admin to get a decent security related job.

But maybe its just my area. When people that wanted to be programmers graduated we had probably 5 companies come and do interviews and many had jobs before they graduated. I wanted a network admin/engineering job and I was out on my own.
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kalin35 I feel what you're going through believe me , I am going to be graduate this July I dont know where to start

All I know is something in telecommunication not for the money I want to enjoy whatever field I choose then the money will follow, starting out is the hardest part when you don't have any experience .I have some plans as I finish the diploma I will reply after rather than talk the talk
  • Options
    If you want money then go to grad school and get an MBA. I've heard good stories of CS majors getting their MBAs and doing quite well. Just my 2 cents. (personally I don't care about money. There are better things in life than money) So that being said, the MBA isn't my cup of tea.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    If you want to make good money right out of college, a programming job is definitely best direction to go...hands down! College prepares you for the programming jobs, but it doesn't prepare you much for the network/systems engineer jobs. When I graduated, I made a LOT of money programming, but when I decided to change my I.T. field, I had to take a little pay cut, and I'm still working on getting back up there...close though :D .

I recommend Software Engineer since you said you like it, and the fact that college teaches it...not many programming certs out there. I hated programming, but I did it for the money...I'm now doing what I love to do although it's less money right now.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    mtbcyclistmtbcyclist Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One thing to also consider, and some may disagree with me here. What hours do you want to work? If you get into a network engineering type job you may be working a lot of weird hours especially if its for a NOC (network operations center). I work for a service provider doing NOC support and we are 24x7x365. That may not be a big deal for you now, but if you are married with a couple of kids the funky schedules for NOC support can be a pain in the butt.

It seems to me that in general programmers have a more standard set of work hours while engineers, admins and networking type people work the more odd hours. This is do to the fact that network maintenance and upgrades normally have to happen during NON business hours.

Something to think about.....
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Trying to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life in your early 20's is impossible. Just start with something you enjoy in IT.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    my advice is look at the market in your area....see what you cna get your foot in the door with faster if you like doing everything equally.

then once your on the job you will see how much u really like programming or UNIX or networking etc.

you might find that although you love to program doing it in a business environment jsut isn't for you

get your foot in the door somewhere hoepfully a large enouth company that you can possailby change positions if you picked a field u decide jsut isn;t for you.

therei s big difference between the college and business world.

if you in in for the money look at government and big companies... most small companies want the world but just can't pay you the world either. I'm sure there zre exceptions but generally that is the case
  • Options
    drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    I've been out of college for some time...about 13 years I guess. Like you, I wanted to make a lot of money straight away...mostly because I am greedy. I found that even I had a college degree, it wasn't a ticket by any means. It took me about 4 or 5 years before I could truly say I was making a decent salary.

I currently work for a Fortune 500 bank, in their information security department. I have the right certification - the CISSP and I have a ton of security experience to boot. Yes, I make a really healthy salary. But...it didn't happen overnight. Expect to pay your dues. You will not make a great salary out of school for many reasons - unless you "know someone." I think a lot of recent college grads have an overinflated sense of their value. When we get college grads here, we place them in jobs just above the Help Desk. Usually, they do simple analytical or programming type work; nothing mission critical. They cut their teeth there for a year or two and then we usually promote them into positions of greater responsiblity. One of friends has been out of school now for 3 years...he complains that everyone he is working with makes twice what he does. What he does not understand is that the reason why everyone else is making twice his salary is because we've worked in the field longer...and have more certifications and education. Someday, he'll be in the same position as we are currently - he just has to climb the ladder like the rest of us.

I'm sure you'll do fine, whether you choose programming or networking. If you're set on security, I'd look strongly at networking. I know people who have come up through both programming and networking into security. The programmers tend to have a harder time with some of the networking concepts that are so pervasive in this space. However, programming can give you a very strong understanding of how the machine operates. Both have their benefits and drawbacks, but in my humble opinion, you'll get more "bang for the buck" in networking if security is your end goal.

Good luck!
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • Options
    Well, the last couple of weeks I have been conducting some interviews. I already heard back from Sprint in Kansas City and they told me that I got the job. I still have not gotten the written offer though to see what it entiles. I am also in the same situation with National Instruments in Austin TX. Both jobs you you start out in the Devolpment program for the first year to learn all about the company and different areas since I am a college grad. Now I am trying to decide which might fix me better. I would rather be in Austin then in KC but I think with Sprint I might get better trainning for if I work have to look for another job in the future. Both jobs I am told start off paying very good though.