Options

70-270 or 70-290? Which to do first?

Rai_poloRai_polo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm about to dive into my MSCA/MSCE and was wondering if you guys could suggest a study path. Should I start at the top of the tree and work down starting with 290? Or Would I be ok if I started with 270 and then came back and did my two core exams?

THX for the help.

Comments

• Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    Start with 70-270 or 7-290. Depending on your experience, I would say take the 70-270.
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It really depends on what your previous experience is, and where your interests lie. Personally, I did 70-290 (and 70-291) before 70-270. The reason for it was that I wanted to save the "easy" exam for last, so I didn't feel so much pressure on the brink of being an MCSA. You, on the other hand, might have different preferences.

Most people do the 70-270 exam first simply because they have more experience with Windows XP than they do with Server 2003, and want to get their feet wet with an exam that'll have familiar topics. Other people start with 70-290 because they want to jump right in and learn about Server 2003 right away, really get their hands dirty from the get-go. It's really up to you what exam you do first, so long as you get yourself a good book to study with and you make sure to set up a practice lab with spare hardware or Virtual PC.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Rai_poloRai_polo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awsome.. thanks alot guys that's a real help.. I'm really intrested in server 2003 but if I get my mcp right away I qualify to apply for a new job that will give me hands on server admin experience.. which I can use on my server test.. So I'll prolly do the xp exam first..
  • Options
    rhelt100rhelt100 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rai_polo wrote:
    Awsome.. thanks alot guys that's a real help.. I'm really intrested in server 2003 but if I get my mcp right away I qualify to apply for a new job that will give me hands on server admin experience.. which I can use on my server test.. So I'll prolly do the xp exam first..

I have heard from several sources that it's actually better to take the 70-290 first. The general reason I hear for this is that once you pass 70-290, the 70-270 exam is a breeze to prepare for with all of the crossover material and the lower difficulty.

Personally, I took the 70-290 first just because my employer pushed it and am now studying for the 70-270. It's interesting studying, I thought I'd be a master of XP after using it for so many years...but there's so many features that I've never touched.
  • Options
    BryanM67BryanM67 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I am taking 70-290 first. Last semester I took Microsoft Server Administration at the local community college, simply because I know less about MS Server 2003 than XP. So I took the class and now I am preparing for the exam. Since I am trying to get ready for 70-290, I am taking an easier class this semester. I don't think I can prepare for 70-290 and take the 70-291 class at the same time.

Another thought I had...wonder if I should wait and see if a Vista support certification comes out soon. It will be August before I have to decide on the next course.
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take the 70-270 first. I'm finding the 70-290 MS Press Book doesn't sufficiently cover a number of topics that happened to be on the 70-270. I'm assuming you will be using the MS Press Book though. =)