Options

USB 2.0

mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
I'm trying to connect a USB 2.0 device to a laptop which says it's compatible with USB 2.0. However, when I plug in the device it says that it can be faster if I switch it to a USB 2.0 port, click here for a list of available ports. I click and it says there are 6 available...there's only 2 USB ports. What's up with that?? Anyone have any ideas?
Working on Linux+

Comments

• Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Do you have an HP laptop?

I had this problem with my work laptop about 2 months ago...

What a pain in the you know what to get it working again.

i had to delete registry keys, remove usb hub from device manager, remove system files using linux and then reinstall the usb manually and editing the keys within the registry..

Hopefully its just an easy fix and you aren't on SP2? I believe that has the usb 2.0 driver updates with the Service Pack.
  • Options
    From what you say, I"d rather shoot myself. It's actually for a client, but I can make up some reason of why it doesn't work. Do you have a link explaining what you did, or was that just all things you thought to do? We don't use Linux at work, so if it's that time consuming, fagetaboutit(forget about it).
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    From what you say, I"d rather shoot myself. It's actually for a client, but I can make up some reason of why it doesn't work. Do you have a link explaining what you did, or was that just all things you thought to do? We don't use Linux at work, so if it's that time consuming, fagetaboutit(forget about it).

Good grief icon_rolleyes.gif

For the sake of those of us who make a living servicing client PCs....get out of the business. If you honestly would rather make up a 'reason' and lie to your client...give them their box back, don't charge them and suggest they find someone else. Don't lie to them!!!

icon_evil.gif

BTW - there is no shame is admitting (to the client) something is out of your area of expertise.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I wouldn't really make up some bullsh*t reason, but it is frustrating. I told him that I'm looking into it and will let know what I come up with.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    If you haven't done so already, I suggest you start by going into Device Manager and deleting everything under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, then do a Scan for Hardware Changes so that XP will reinstall everything. Also, verify that it's on SP2, as the first responder mentioned.
  • Options
    The laptop is running SP2. When I get a chance, I will update the drivers and post back with the results.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Disable power management of the USB hub.

Note If you perform the following procedure, you may also reduce the battery life on a portable computer.

To disable power management on the USB hub, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then follow these steps for each USB Root Hub that is listed: a. Right-click the USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    b. Click the Power Management tab.
    c. Click to clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.

Run regedt32.exe and navigate to;

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb

Create the Usb key if it doesn't already exist. Under this key, create a new DWORD value called DisableSelectiveSuspend and give it a value of 1. Then restart the PC.

If the above doesnt work, make sure that your motherboard drivers are up to date. Uplug the power and the battery from the laptop and hold down the power button to get rid of any residual power. Then insert the battery and power adapter back in the PC and see if that fixes the problem.

Good luck.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Go to the laptop vendor's download Web page and update the laptop's motherboard chipset drivers and BIOS. Also check the vendor's knowledge base for this specific problem.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    I'm trying to connect a USB 2.0 device to a laptop which says it's compatible with USB 2.0. However, when I plug in the device it says that it can be faster if I switch it to a USB 2.0 port, click here for a list of available ports. I click and it says there are 6 available...there's only 2 USB ports. What's up with that?? Anyone have any ideas?

One thing to keep in mind is that, just because it says it's compatible with 2.0, doesn't mean it is 2.0. From the sounds of it, the port is probably USB 1.1, which is quite compatible with 2.0, but will run at the 12Mbps, as opposed to 480Mbps. The error message you're getting seems to confirm that it's the port that's running the 1.1 speed, not the device.

As for six ports being available, that I have no idea about. Either there are four more usb connectors on the board that simply don't have ports attached to them, or something along those lines.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Slowhand wrote:
    As for six ports being available, that I have no idea about. Either there are four more usb connectors on the board that simply don't have ports attached to them, or something along those lines.
    This is certainly the case with modern PC motherboards, which have six USB ports for the two USB connectors on the front of the case and the four USB connectors attached to the back of the motherboard. Laptops typically have 2, 4, or 6 external USB connectors, and the motherboard will always report that it has six USB ports, regardless if they are attached to USB connectors.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I learn something new every day. Thanks for the into, jdmurray, I didn't actually know that about laptop boards.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Sorry it look so long to reply. I updated the USB drivers and it works like a charm. Thanks for the info fellas.
    Working on Linux+